Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting as an already made, named character? And help finding quests  (Read 897 times)

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey all. This is a two part question. In my previous Adventure game, I checked all over the town I began in for a quest giver, but there was nobody. The townspeople told me to seek out a certain person in a specific place for a quest, but I have no idea how to get there. Nothing showed up on my little compass thing in the top left.

Eventually I just left town and searched three other towns. In one town I found the person that everyone was telling me to find for a quest, but it didn't go so well. He was the priest in the basement of a church-ish area. Each time I asked him about his services, he just told me that the only way to help him is to give thanks to his deity and such.

So eventually, I found a person that gave me a quest to kill.... a bronze colossus no less. I quick traveled to him and began the fight. In one punch he practically blew up my Drunk friend's head. In another, he destroyed the lungs of my other drunk friend. Then began a pointless, 15 minute fight of missing and deflecting until I just closed the game.

So the first part of my questions... Is there an easier way to both find a quest giver, and get to the quest monster area? So far I've just been randomly checking every town for a quest giver, but is there a simpler way to know how to get one? And after taking the quest, how do you get to the area easily? After getting the bronze colossus quest, I found it by luck after moving around the region map.

Lastly, when I started a new game, I had the option of being the usual human, elf, and dwarf, but on the bottom I had an option to be Ucim Zekdupar. I clicked on him, and he's a male human with these stats:
Great Swordsman
Grand Master shield user
talented armor user
novice thrower
novice ambusher
novice swimmer
dabbling observer
legendary fighter
dabbling archer
legendary wrestler
competent dodger

So he's a pretty beefy character. I didn't get to change his name, skills, etc. I'm not sure if I somehow... unlocked this character or something? Anyone have this happen to them?

Anyways, that's all. Thanks :)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can help you on that last part. Ucim is a retired adventurer of yours.

ALSO! Once you're given a quest, the site where the target is is marked in the [Q]uest menu. Named monsters live in caves, so it's simply a matter of finding the entrance to the cave and searching for him/her there.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The retired adventurer thing makes sense. I retired my character that was fighting the colossus. What exactly happens when you retire the character? If their skills get beefed up, why not make a new character and retire them so they age and they get stronger? Maybe there are drawbacks to this that I'm not saying.

And I didn't know about the Q menu, thanks.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're welcome.

I'm pretty sure your adventurer doesn't gain any skills after you retire them. The skills that are shown are the ones you earned/purchased. Considering you fought a Bronze Collosus, it makes sense you'd have a legendary skill or two.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha yeah. I was eating supper just an hour ago, and suddenly I had this moment where it just came to me. "My character didn't gain skills from being retired... He gained skills because he swung his sword blindly at a Bronze Colossus for a few minutes!" and I felt so stupid, haha.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

well to answer our first question get runesmith it pretty much finds the creatures in the area and if you want teleport you/them closer to them/you. it makes searching less tedious.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes