Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Separate "smooth stone" and "detail stone  (Read 1312 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Separate "smooth stone" and "detail stone
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:16:00 am »

It would help if "smooth stone" and "detail stone" were two separate tasks. The way they'd function would then be that if you dragged a "smooth stone" designation over any area, any stone that wasn't smoothed would be tagged for smoothing, and any already smoothed stone would be left alone.

"detail stone", similarly, would detail any smoothed stone, smooth and then detail any rough stone, and leave detailed stone alone.

It'd also help if "carve fortifications" would automatically smooth first, when necessary.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Separate "smooth stone" and "detail stone
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

This already largely done in the next version.  Take a look at some of the cmv movies at the bottom of the latest development pages.  You can play them by pressing ; at the main menu.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Frumpy Playtools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:18:08 am »

I really would love it if this would go through (I placed one of my votes for it on the Eternal page).  It would also be nice to separate Construction from Mason (though less important in my view).

Right now, I have a single legendary Engraver, and a small group of other dwarves....right now I either have to fiddle with assigning the good engraver to a burrow where he engraves and another burrow for the rest of them to smooth stone.  Alternatively, sometimes I just load up Therapist to turn off the "stone detail" job on all but the engraver if the areas are far apart.
FP

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 02:50:22 pm »

Separating construction and masonry is also very important, since skilledly crafting objects in a workshop and building stuff unskilledly in often dangerous areas are two very different job descriptions - characterized by different levels of expendability.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:49:35 pm »

This late-jurassic thread was originally about a rather different topic- back in those days smooth and engrave literally used the same command- if you told dwarves to detail rough stone they would smooth it, and if you told them to detail smooth stone, they would engrave it. If you wanted smooth but not engraved stone you had to be very careful with your designations...

But moving to the present day semi-derailing, while most of this can be achieved with burrows, separating things out at a jobs level would be nice. And there's plenty of room in the professions menus now they are subcategorized. But while Smooth Stone/Engrave is easy, is there anything to call the construction-using-masonary job that doesn't wind up rather longwinded? Also taking into account that for consistency, the construction-using-carpentry and construction-using-metalwork would also likely need to be separated out...

While we're at it, why not come up with a name for construction-using-body-parts-of-slain-invaders? Just in case we need it later 8-)
(Should this be separate from construction-using-body-parts-of-live-invaders?)

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 05:15:54 am »

Well, simply using Stone Construction, Wood Construction, Metal Construction and Bone Construction sounds fine to me...
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:35:43 am »

Nonsense, my walls must specifically be made of frozen fire imp's blood!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 01:33:18 pm »

With elven bone meal as the mortar.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Frumpy Playtools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 06:19:02 pm »

some day, some day.

But it would still be a change that would make me happy that I can designate something, and let them dwarfs sort out who should do what.  If there was an obtuse menu/mod that would let me set it so that only X skill or higher dwarves can engrave, then I would just as soon take that solution to fix my problem.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 04:23:20 am »

That's pretty good actually. Orders menu items or a selection during designation would allow players to control who does and what indirectly. Workshops already have it so it's sorted in the other end.