Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building a Better World  (Read 738 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building a Better World
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »

Started this in Questions, seems better suited here, don't know how to move it.

So, I'm trying to mess with world gen to give me a world with a lot of good sites, where "Good Sites" means "Volcanoes". At first it didn't seem to be working, but eventually I noticed there was a *lot* of obsidian regions, though almost no visible volcanoes.

On the other hand, there were no sedimentary layers that I could see, anywhere. I suppose they only exist if volcanism is low?

So, what's going on? And does anyone have any really nice, cushy, ready-made world gen parameters I could have? Preferably for a large world- I plan to put many fortresses and adventurers in it, so they can hear about/interact with eachother.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: Building a Better World
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 07:49:04 pm »

I'll repeat what I said over there; there is a specific option in world-gen that sets the number of active volcanoes. It's separate from the "vulcanism level" controls.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:53:48 pm »

ah man, i thought this was gonna be about getting rid of every natural tile on the world and replacing with iron walls!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:05:52 pm »

I remember reading a few threads about what people insisted on for an embark... Thought is try to find/make world gen settings that do everything.

Still working on volcanoes, though... Best I could figure geodude meant "minimum volcanoes", which I think would just lead to unending map rejections.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:26:37 pm »

I may be alone in this, but I hate having a ton of z levels above ground to track stuff on.  Lately I've been preferring primarily flat embarks because I do what z level stuff I want below the surface.

Since I started maxing the volcanism variance, I've been able to find a significant number of sites that have sedimentary layers with obsidian... And while they aren't technically "volcanoes" they do have magma pools that go up to at least the bottom caverns and often to the middle layer of caverns.  And since I put 15z levels between the magma sea and the bottom caverns I get plenty of magma to play with.

No its not on the surface, but I make things on the surface come to me below.  My current map while mostly flat on the surface has no aquifers, a stream, 1 magma pool that is 15z levels deep, 5 sedimentary layers and several layers with obsidian.