Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Arranging an unfortunate 'accident'.  (Read 2088 times)

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arranging an unfortunate 'accident'.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 10:43:27 am »

Use charcoal instead.  You don't have to mess with magma.  Build a wood furnace and a normal smelter, make some charcoal in the wood furnace, and use the charcoal to smelt some ore to bars in the smelter.

You want this guy to survive, especially if he is a weaponsmith or armorsmith.  Legendary metalworkers of any sort are incredibly difficult to get otherwise.

This +1, you'll LOVE have a legendary metalworker once you figure out how to get it to work.  :P

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 01:18:27 pm »

Unfortunately, soon after I was starting the game up to try and get his stuff, he gave up and went melancholy.
Damn.
I don't suppose there is any way to reverse the effects of melancholy?
Well, I've well and truly ballsed up this one. Ah well, I was just using this fortress for the tutorial anyway. I'll make another fortress after I've finished learning.
Thanks for everyones good suggestions!
"Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, Scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese. True? You've run a maze like a good little rat, but no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little." - Sheogorath, Oblivion.

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 01:55:23 pm »

Unfortunately, soon after I was starting the game up to try and get his stuff, he gave up and went melancholy.
Damn.
I don't suppose there is any way to reverse the effects of melancholy?
Well, I've well and truly ballsed up this one. Ah well, I was just using this fortress for the tutorial anyway. I'll make another fortress after I've finished learning.
Thanks for everyone's good suggestions!

You want to know a little something I do to try to avoid those melancholy moods?  I try to pick one or two of every item type they could request forbidden somewhere.  Then, when the person doesn't start, I can unforbid the items needed.  Sometimes you don't get a lot of shells, or gems (in the older versions) or a certain kind of metal.  Some glass types are hard to make and you can only buy a couple each trip.  It's good to keep these things on hand for the rare occasions they're requested.
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!
Pages: 1 [2]