Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amount of one good available to trade  (Read 402 times)

TeamRob43

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Amount of one good available to trade
« on: July 24, 2010, 09:31:32 am »

The biggest problem with trade is that you can not specify an amount of goods you would like in your trade agreement. For instance I started a little 2x2 fort that had flux stone listed on the embark but I could not find any iron to make steel. So I request iron, pig iron and steel in the trade agreement and iron ore. Next year when the caravan turns up they bring 1 bar of iron 1 bar of pig iron 1 bar of steal and 1 magnetite ore. I knew this would happen as it happens all the fricken time.

If I request something like stone or wood it should be pretty obvious that i do not just want 1 of the item.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Amount of one good available to trade
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:45:59 am »

Yeah, you should be able to tell the caravan "We need 50 bars of steel, 25 logs of wood and 10 pig tail socks."
Depending on the profit the caravan made from you already, they may or may not accept, depending on whether the demand is actually realistic. The size of the fortress (Outpost? Town? Barony? etc.) should all influence the propabilities.

An interesting concept would be that the caravan demands to be paid in advance when the demand is quite big.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 11:13:51 am »

Agreed, on one succession fort the previous ruler had requested food.

The caravan arrived with two barrels, a bucket, and 20 pages of food. Needless to say, I seized the entire shipment (and deleted my depot so I could put a stockpile under it all), but some iron or something would've been awesome. All we had was silver.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 12:23:09 pm »

It should also take into account what you request, as in it should probably be easier to get 50 logs than 50 platinum bars...
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:21:04 pm »

Found this on the old dev page.

Req555, MORE EFFECTIVE TRADE AGREEMENTS, (Future): Traders should bring more of your high priority requests. In general, trade agreements can be more specific and interesting.

Sounds a bit like what this suggestion's about, in particular the second sentence. Probably (PROBABLY because this is from the old dev page) going to go in at some point sooner or later. The current dev page includes the first pass on the caravan arc (including resource quantity tracking, i.e. how much resources are available to whatever), so there's a chance this could be sooner rather than later.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.