Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.10 - Civilization's Settling in Abandoned Fortress  (Read 750 times)

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.10 - Civilization's Settling in Abandoned Fortress
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:37 am »

I recently came across an interesting occurrence within one of my world's I've been using for a while. After a fort I had started failed due to hunger, starvation, and pissing off a drow (from Rhenaya's Drow Mod) caravan I chose to abandon it rather than try to survive until a miner spawned and I could continue building. I then checked the Legends screen to see what it had stored in regards to my fortress. Amazingly enough it was successful enough that it was recolonized and to confirm that this wasn't a glitch I spawned a Play Now adventurer and went to go see what had become of my fortress.

As you can see the new tenants are having a bit of a problem with the river/ waterfall system I made to protect the fortress. Has anyone else noticed something similar to this in regards to repopulation or is this a glitch?

**edit: The picture I meant to provide appears not to be working I will try another way in a bit.
**edit: Picture now provided to show proof.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:04:10 pm by Black_Legion »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.10 - Civilization's Settling in Abandoned Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 01:30:28 pm »

Know what this means?

Let's check out if Boatmurdered got repopulated when we wasn't looking.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:38:57 pm »

I will take this as proof of concept for my plan to create a dwarven metropolis across a local region(s). I'd already seen it do this a couple times myself, visiting several abandoned forts in the same area, none of which were shown as ruins or were lacking a dwarven population that would refuse to interact. (except the one that had foomen in the caverns, they wiped out the survivors/took over and everyone left.)

Now the only thing left to do is find out whether shops will remain open and their owners willing to trade, if you abandon after the dwarven economy sets in. Not to mention get toady to code them to properly stockpile, store, and display all the items like they were before abandonment, so you don't buy something only to realize it's up on that roof you made inaccessible.

And it proves the other point I had. After you make one fort from an extinct civilization, It will become the mountainhomes from which caravans and migrants will arrive, though you still won't have any nobles unless you mod them to be appointable/electable.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:41:13 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:06:08 pm »

True about the extinct civilization part. In my world the Dwarfs are isolated with one city each while after the fun at Lashmaws one Dwarven civilization is at least on its way back to its former glory. I will have to experiment with this new dynamic more... hopefully this is a precursor to the new interactions we can expect in future DF updates.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 04:51:17 pm »

I don't really know heads from tails when it comes to this stuff.

I've found human ruins that were destroyed in some war. I've found humans who have taken up residence in a goblin ruin, I have found a perfectly preserved city that the humans just abandoned without reason. Fresh food and everything in there!

I've found humans reclaiming an old city, building new houses and leaving the ruins standing ... and for some reason alot of the inhabitants were elves. Which, by the way, I've embarked on a forest retreat and the elves turned into a killing frenzy and flat out murdered the crap out of eachother. Most of their population died immediately. You never know WHAT you might find when you embark!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.