Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sort out room values  (Read 767 times)

TeamRob43

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sort out room values
« on: July 24, 2010, 09:22:34 am »

It is way too easy to get a room to legendary status.

Take the main dining hall for instance, it needs to be pretty large to accomodate all those dwarves who do not have their own dining room. Once the large space is full of tables and chairs and you have engraved the walls it is already likely to be legendary and the appropriate text is desplayed in the dwarves happiness thingy saying something like "Dirty Den ate in a legendary dining room recently."

This is far too easy to acheive, in my oppinion a legendary room should be a huge project that takes a huge ammount of effort and materials to build. For instance I once built a hall 3 floors high using cave ins, before each floor caved in I engraved the remaining walls, I put a silver floor down that was about 400 tiles and all the chairs/tables were obsidian (I was in the process of making them all masterwork quality but never got round to it) there were gold and platinum statues around the edges of the room.

I am not sure what the current values are for room values but we need to increase the curve that they are at so that high end rooms are actually difficult to achieve. Also certain objects should not add to a rooms value, mechanisms for instance.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Sort out room values
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:31:16 am »

The relevant wiki article:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Room

Basically, besides the problem of engraving (or statues) making room values of several thousand being easy to achieve, part of the problem is that all rooms appear to be based on the same metric:

A personal dining room is measured as legendary at the same point that a public dining room is measured at legendary. (10k dbs.)  This is the same point where bedrooms and offices are measured as legendary, as well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:07:20 pm »

The relevant wiki article:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Room

Basically, besides the problem of engraving (or statues) making room values of several thousand being easy to achieve, part of the problem is that all rooms appear to be based on the same metric:

A personal dining room is measured as legendary at the same point that a public dining room is measured at legendary. (10k dbs.)  This is the same point where bedrooms and offices are measured as legendary, as well.

A solution could be that all dining rooms (and offices/bedrooms/burial place) could have the value of:

(Total value of items in room+engravings) / Number of Useful items.

For example if you wanted to have a legendary private dining room, you could easily do it with an engraved 5x5 room with a few nice things.

But if you have an 80 table/80 throne dining room, that would be MUCH more difficult to do.

Seems like a faily simple implementation, which would solve this problem.

bastard0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »

Why not divide the value of the room with the number of users? For a public dining room, the value would be divided with the total number of dorfs in your fortress. For a private dining room, the value would be divided by the number of owners (i.e. one). So having a legendary public dining room in a fortress with 100 dorfs would have to be worth 1 million dorf bucks. Or it could be divided by the number of tables. A legendary public dining room that seats 20 people would have to be worth 200 000 dbs.

I think I like the latter idea better. That means that you don't have to have one supremely opulent and huge dining room, and instead several less opulent dining rooms will suffice.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:12:06 pm »

Why not divide the value of the room with the number of users? For a public dining room, the value would be divided with the total number of dorfs in your fortress. For a private dining room, the value would be divided by the number of owners (i.e. one). So having a legendary public dining room in a fortress with 100 dorfs would have to be worth 1 million dorf bucks. Or it could be divided by the number of tables. A legendary public dining room that seats 20 people would have to be worth 200 000 dbs.

I think I like the latter idea better. That means that you don't have to have one supremely opulent and huge dining room, and instead several less opulent dining rooms will suffice.

But then you have the problem with a room going from legendary to just okay because of an immigration wave.  It seems that there's something wrong with that.  If you do it based on the number of users at one time (number of tables) then it works better.  Your legendard dining room that seats 4 will still be legendary even if you have 200 dwarves, just they won't be able to all use it, if you want a 200 table dining room, make it and then you'll just need a room 50 times as valuable. (4*50).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 09:57:20 pm »

Of course, that assumes that current values are appropriate for private rooms.  (All rooms, regardless of purpose, max at 10k.)  It's still alarmingly easy to make "royal" level rooms simply by abusing the absurd value a high-level engraver can add to a room.  You average 69 per tile times the value of the stone, so you could theoretically make a legendary room out of just a 5x10 room full of engravings on every tile of floor and wall, so long as its in a flux layer.

But then, there are also complaints going around on the front page about how absurdly high the quality multipliers are for value, as well.

Frankly, it seems like everything related to the economy is some kind of dummied out placeholder value for a system that has more thought put into it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 02:09:12 am »

Instead of dividing the value by the population of the fort, divide it by the number of dwarves that can use it at one time. A dining room with one working chair/table combination has one possible user, while a dining room with 14 table/chair combination can seat 14.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.