Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Collapse walls by lever  (Read 2789 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collapse walls by lever
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 07:57:55 am »

When everyone is at a safe distance yank on the rope really hard, pulling the support out, causing the section of wall to collapse. No explosives needed.
Hmmm... While I was of the "Levers are Dwarfy, fire can't be handled, explosives aren't Toady's bag" opinion, and thus thinking levers, I like this new use for ropes.  Don't know how the mechanics would work, but given how a current well of mine uses a single rope to stretch ~30 Z-levels (and would doubtless span 300, if I had such a set-up[1]), I could see a key support being pulled away by a rope from a location (with a straight-line pathing[2], unless you assume/require 'pulley' mechanisms) being a nice compromise between the automagical lever idea and bringing the sons of the soil back down to earth...  Gives them a little more leeway so they don't have to run quite so far to safety when the breakthrough is made.

Also gives the possibility of demolishing more than one segment of contiguous wall at a time, which is often the problem with either dig'n'run or fortify'n'run, when you'd ideally want more width for the liquid to flow through.  Either multi-tie the rope (like a single lever to multiple floodgates/doors/bridges/supports/etc), or treat a fully connected (orthagonals only) section as a single entity, so that when a single section is primed to be deconstructed either by rope or mythilever it all collapses.  Perhaps with a 'domino delay', if you want it more 'life-like'.

[1] Yet at the same time keeps creatures tied to within one tile of a location without any apparent spare loops trailing all over the place :)

[2] Not sure how diagonals in X,Y and/or Z would work.  Well, not with representation.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 05:10:10 pm »

Frankly, I'd rather keep it to levers, just to be simple.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 05:19:01 pm »

Same, levers are already in the game. It helps to think of a lever as being linked to the object by a chain, but this can be abstracted away. Not everything needs to be explicitly simulated. Abstracting away a lot of things does improve gameplay a huge amount.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 05:44:01 pm »

for all the people going for this for opening water/magma sources, try to note this little trick.

! source
} wall
/ ramp

original wall
! } = = =
! } _ _ _
! } = = =

step 1
! } = = =
! }   _ _
! } / { =

step 2
! } = = =
! }    _ _
! ! ! {= =
now you have safely mined* into a liquid source as your miner needs to take only 1 one step to avoid fun.
*please note if the fluid source is water, that you'll need to mine out the wall diagnal along dimension not displayed in in the graphs. if you do otherwise, you might experience lots of FUN.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 07:07:50 pm »

I like the idea. It's really annoying sometimes when I want to make an opening bigger than 1 tile into a magma pipe or body of water, and this would solve that problem.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 10:16:42 pm »

Honestly, I would prefer it if we just get black powder.

Black powder is:

1.  Realistic (it was and is actually used for the things described here)
2.  Setting-appropriate (it was known and available in the time period DF is based on.)
3.  Something with a huge potential for Fun(tm).

I'm not talking guns or even cannons, just a realistic way to blow up walls (and goblins and, inevitably, dwarves) safely from a distance.

And yes, I know it's been suggested a million times, but it's the logical way to handle this, and it is, in fact, both much much more realistic and much much more setting-appropriate than magic mechanisms that can somehow make walls collapse.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 03:06:24 am »

I'd support either solution (levers / explosives) as long as I can create multi-tile openings with them.

I want my water and magma channels to be the same width all the way, damn it  :D
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 03:08:18 am »

Honestly, I would prefer it if we just get black powder.

Black powder is:

1.  Realistic (it was and is actually used for the things described here)
2.  Setting-appropriate (it was known and available in the time period DF is based on.)
3.  Something with a huge potential for Fun(tm).

I'm not talking guns or even cannons, just a realistic way to blow up walls (and goblins and, inevitably, dwarves) safely from a distance.

And yes, I know it's been suggested a million times, but it's the logical way to handle this, and it is, in fact, both much much more realistic and much much more setting-appropriate than magic mechanisms that can somehow make walls collapse.
Yeah I agree with this.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 09:57:23 am »

(Rig)

an option under [T]raps, where a mechanic rigs a tile to collapse.

- floor above empty space, stairwell.
-door+floor, floodgate+floor, hatch+floor, grate(all the furniture and crap goes with the floor)

support+ceiling, wall+ceiling,(by default, the celing goes if the support is removed)

rig ceiling, rig floor, rig wall/support.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 10:44:59 am »

(Rig)

an option under [T]raps, where a mechanic rigs a tile to collapse.

- floor above empty space, stairwell.
-door+floor, floodgate+floor, hatch+floor, grate(all the furniture and crap goes with the floor)

support+ceiling, wall+ceiling,(by default, the celing goes if the support is removed)

rig ceiling, rig floor, rig wall/support.

mmm... I was thinking 'designation' because I was thinking "it's mining in slow motion", but I guess since we're throwing around levers, it would qualify as a trap (as levers are "traps")...

That really depends on how Toady wants to see it, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]