Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Suggestion on Stone  (Read 1111 times)

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another Suggestion on Stone
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:31:37 am »

Hello there,
 this is my first post, and I didn't have the time nor the patience to search through all the relating articles.
 But I had a pretty nifty idea how to change the "stone"-menu to handle DFs main ressource in the most efficient way.

Change the "stone"-menu to look like the kitchen menu.

I don't know if the job engine handels rocks very different then cookable items, but if it was doable it would be really great.

Show only the stonetypes you actually encountered, the stock and kitchen menues do it too and we don't need exact numbers this time.
 Give the stones some values equal to cook/brew .. like craft, smelt, build, which cover the jobs allowed to work with which stone types
 ( aka advanced economic stone ) craft would cover stonecrafts & furniture, smelt would cover ores, flux and fuel and build the b-C Menu
 and block production

Thats it, now I want to hear your comments on that Idea.

While writing this I had another Idea about those menus ..

The advanced kitchen menu.

Just add Thresh and Mill

So I can fire up my rope reed clothes production, mill only dye, keep my pig tails for ale and my sweet pods for rum.

AAANd .. damn I am getting into idea mode ..

I want a "whole set" option for cloth and armor.

single Item production for armor is okay.

I have 10 military dwarves who need
 10 helmets,
 10 plates,
 10 greaves,
 10 high boots,
 10 gauntlets,

even 30 dwarves can be equipped in one go, which requires me to add 5 jobs.
 thats when I am producing plate, do differ between lighter chain and full plate gets difficult
 and clothes get really annoying. I know, I don't have to provide clothes for the dwarves for now,
 but when I have to and I need to cloth 100-200 dwarves ... which will need .. ( taken from the wiki and armor removed )
 one of each of the following to keep a dwarf from freezing his beard of in Nist Akath

Underwear
  Shirt, Dress, Tunic
  Loincloth, Thong, Braies
  Gloves
  Mask, Face veil,
  Chausses, Socks

Over
  Coat, Toga, Vest, Robe
  Pants, Skirt, Short skirt, Long skirt
  Cap, Turban, Head veil, Headscarf,
  Shoes, Sandals, Low Boot, High Boot

Cover
  Cloak, Cape
  Mittens
  Hood

For 120 dwarves this would equal in (120/30)x12= 48 jobs to enqueue for the user which then gives only a standard set, no variation.

So my proposal is again. Lets queue up whole sets with random values for the different clothes items which will
enable me to order 4x30 sets of winter cloth.
Sets could be. Winter, Normal, Summer, Plate Armor, Chain Armor, Leather Armor, Bone Armor ..

That would be nice ...

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Suggestion on Stone
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 04:20:39 am »

no comments ?
is my idea that bad ?

*gently nudge*

I got another Idea ..

Make the Creature Overview ( v ) visible from the Unti Menu ( u )

this would skip alot of selecting and searching

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:17 pm »

The stone things is a good idea, stopping the finagling the people are going through to get bauxite mechanism. As is the advanced kitchen one. It may even be easy to put in, but I wouldn't know.
As for the "suit of armour" suggestion, well I've seen it before (in the "Post Ideas You're Not Sure About" thread, I think) but it is still good.
Also, isn't creature overview already in the unit menu? when you hit zoom to the creature (c, i think) it zooms onto the creature with v already up to pinpoint the guy. The only thing you need to do is to cycle through any other creatures they're standing on top of.

So there you go

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:32:27 pm »

I think it would be easy to put in, guessed on how the item abilities are implemented in df.

and yes, thats the way how to find a dwarven worker.
but would it not be at least a hundred time more comfortable if you just entered the unit list,
hit v oder something else, and instead of the work description lines ( you know .. no job, attend party, soldier, check chest ) .. you see the creature overview, without zooming into ..
just to look for your near legendary miner, the new guy who is disturbing your armorsmith ..
without doing .. u - c .. nope, wrong guy, u - c .. okay, next  u - c  that one renamed,

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:06 pm »

I REALLY like the ideas about stone.  Managing what stone types get used for various tasks is a gigantic pain right now.  Ideally these changes would subsume the current "economic stone" interface.

The kitchen idea is good too, processing tasks should be more specific.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 03:49:13 pm »

I think all the u menu needs is a way to skip pages.
OR, hopefully, somebody to tell me how to skip pages in the u menu. Takes ages to scroll down to the goblins in a big fortress. Or even to the mechanics.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:57:50 pm »

Have you tried page up / page down? Or the /* on the keypad? If it works in one menu, it often works in another. Why every other menu has a different scrolling scheme is beyond me, and possibly known only by the Toady One.

EDIT: To work off your idea about sets, it would all but solve the problem if we were just allowed to define how many times a repeating task should repeat. Then you could queue up one of each armor piece and set each job to repeat 30 times. It will cycle through so you end up with a complete set before starting on the second helmet.

As for clothes, there are too many pieces to just set up 200 repeats on 10 jobs. But if it's that big of a job, you might want to set up 3 clothing workshops and queue up one clothing layer in each, repeating 200 times per job.

You could limit the repeat queue to 255, or if you set it to repeat zero times it repeats indefinitely.

EDIT2: By the clothing part above I meant this:

Workshop A:  Underwear
  Shirt, Dress, Tunic, Gloves, Socks

Workshop B: Over
  Coat, Toga, Vest, Robe, Pants, Skirt, Cap, High Boot

Workshop C: Cover
  Cloak, Cape, Mittens, Hood

In fact it looks like you could combine A and B and still be under the limit of 10 jobs queued.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:05:42 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 06:11:19 pm »

Make the Creature Overview ( v ) visible from the Unti Menu ( u )

Sheer brilliance.

This would make things immensly easier, and honestly, I'm not sure why it isn't done this way right now.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 04:07:39 am »

thanks leo, thats a pretty good suggestion about how to massproduce clothes :)

but still I would greatly appreciate the possibility of item sets .. at best if you could design them for yourself ..
swordsdwarf set ( steel sword, full platemail, backpack and waterskin )