Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get civilians to equip socks and shoes?  (Read 1847 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get civilians to equip socks and shoes?
« on: July 19, 2010, 01:08:48 pm »

Their previous ones have rotted away over the course of many years. Now their feet get smeared with blood and vomit when walking around in my fortress and they continuously go to the nearby river with "clean self" job to clean the blood+vomit off their bare feet. I made several socks and shoes in my clothier's workshop to give for them, but they aren't automatically picking them up. So now I have dozens of naked dwarves washing themselves all the time in the river, how do I get them to equip the socks and shoes atleast?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get civilians to equip socks and shoes?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:13:42 pm »

In my experience, dwarves would automatically claim freshly-sewn clothing and get around to pick it up at a later time (meanwhile, it will show up as "Owned by: Urist McDwarf" while sitting in the shop). I'd say you could try to make a finished goods stockpile and restrict it to only allow cloth armor and head/hand/foot/legware, where all spare clothing in your fortress'll go, near a populated area of your fortress to encourage dwarves to pick up new clothing, if they don't do so already for whatever reason.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 01:13:55 pm »

pffft, dozens

my whole fortress is butt-naked wandering around, friggen nudist colony, i hate to wonder what the traders think..

Urist Mcnudist: and that will be lets say, 5 swords for 25 barrels of food?
urist Mcdwarftrader: okay.. sure.. are you sure you dont want any clothes to wear? ill mark them down 90%!
Urist Mcnudist: Bah! we have no need of these 'clothes' you speak of!
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:19:38 pm »

In my experience, dwarves would automatically claim freshly-sewn clothing and get around to pick it up at a later time (meanwhile, it will show up as "Owned by: Urist McDwarf" while sitting in the shop). I'd say you could try to make a finished goods stockpile and restrict it to only allow cloth armor and head/hand/foot/legware, where all spare clothing in your fortress'll go, near a populated area of your fortress to encourage dwarves to pick up new clothing, if they don't do so already for whatever reason.

They are currently claimed indeed. The dwarves just don't seem to bother picking them up even after months of waiting. Stockpile doesn't work as claimed items won't be picked up by other dwarves.
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:20:50 pm »

They are currently claimed indeed. The dwarves just don't seem to bother picking them up even after months of waiting. Stockpile doesn't work as claimed items won't be picked up by other dwarves.

Ah, well good! I thought you meant they were being wholly ignored. Hm. Do your dwarves have individual bedrooms, equipped with coffers and cabinets? That might speed things up, seeing as how they can store things away and change clothing items.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:21:51 pm »

Ah, well good! I thought you meant they were being wholly ignored. Hm. Do your dwarves have individual bedrooms, equipped with coffers and cabinets? That might speed things up, seeing as how they can store things away and change clothing items.

My dwarves live in a cramped underwater fort, so there's no space for invidual rooms. There's one underwater structure that is filled with 1x1 bedrooms, barracks style.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 01:24:50 pm »

My dwarves live in a cramped underwater fort, so there's no space for invidual rooms. There's one underwater structure that is filled with 1x1 bedrooms, barracks style.

Well, on the upside, being nudist wouldn't be their biggest quirk, then. An underwater fortress? That sounds very interesting.

The only alternative I can think of would be a big common dormitory, with a lot of chest and cabinets. Not sure if it'd work as well, though.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 01:27:33 pm »

Well, on the upside, being nudist wouldn't be their biggest quirk, then. An underwater fortress? That sounds very interesting.

The only alternative I can think of would be a big common dormitory, with a lot of chest and cabinets. Not sure if it'd work as well, though.

I could pull a couple of levers and fill half the fort in a fraction of a second flash flood due to the intense water pressure at the lowest levels, that would certainly clean the fort of the blood but the downside would be most of my dwarves drowning in the process as I forgot to make an emergency pump system to pump out floods.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:30:52 pm by Orkel »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 01:33:43 pm »

It is my experience that flooding your fort with water just makes the blood problem worse.  Water does not remove pools of blood from tiles, not at all that I can determine, and once the flowing water is contaminated with blood it will cause every tile it touches to then also become contaminated.  Falling water may wash blood off dwarves, but that blood ends up as a perpetually growing blood pool spreading out from the water source.  I built a waterfall in my meeting room, a single bloody soldier went to wash up, and now half my fortress is awash in pools of goblin blood.

Flooding with magma on the other hand will remove blood, mud, vomit, forgotten beast extract, and dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 01:39:10 pm »

I could pull a couple of levers and fill half the fort in a fraction of a second flash flood due to the intense water pressure at the lowest levels, that would certainly clean the fort of the blood but the downside would be most of my dwarves drowning in the process as I forgot to make an emergency pump system to pump out floods.

Hm. May I ask where and how your fortress is situated, just for personal interest? Do you have a really deep sea, or is this in some inundated cavern system?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 01:44:36 pm »

It is my experience that flooding your fort with water just makes the blood problem worse.  Water does not remove pools of blood from tiles, not at all that I can determine, and once the flowing water is contaminated with blood it will cause every tile it touches to then also become contaminated.  Falling water may wash blood off dwarves, but that blood ends up as a perpetually growing blood pool spreading out from the water source.  I built a waterfall in my meeting room, a single bloody soldier went to wash up, and now half my fortress is awash in pools of goblin blood.

Flooding with magma on the other hand will remove blood, mud, vomit, forgotten beast extract, and dwarves.

Damn, that sucks.

Hm. May I ask where and how your fortress is situated, just for personal interest? Do you have a really deep sea, or is this in some inundated cavern system?

A large hole dug next to a river, then a fortress was built to the bottom out of walls and floors connected by walkways and then the river water was channeled in there.