Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archer towers  (Read 585 times)

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Archer towers
« on: July 20, 2010, 02:51:24 am »

You know how alot of archers just stupidly run away from their station and get slaughtered in a big bloody mess?
Well, what i propose is that we designate a firing area that ranged military will only fire from or prefer to fire from.
I think that will resolve those kind of problems

Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Archer towers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:32:56 am »

You know how alot of archers just stupidly run away from their station and get slaughtered in a big bloody mess?
Well, what i propose is that we designate a firing area that ranged military will only fire from or prefer to fire from.
I think that will resolve those kind of problems
By hand, or from a certain item?

I like this idea though, I think Toady mentioned something about this somewhere...

Edit: found it.
Quote from: Mephansteras
Question on marksdwarves: If you give them the order to kill a target and they are up in a tower, but on the wrong side, will they go try to find a place near them where they can shoot or will they run out of the tower to go find the enemy on the ground and then start shooting?

They aren't smart or anything.  It is seek and destroy like anything else they do in battle.  It obviously needs to be improved, but it's somewhat tricky/slow on the 3D grid without extra information on the map, which is hard to maintain.  Player hints would be the easier way to handle it, but it would be good if they could think it out themselves.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:36:44 am by existent »
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archer towers
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:37:20 am »

By hand, or from a certain item?

The item could maybe be a bin or the like, that gets filled with arrows/bolts by haulers
so that the military dwarves wont have to run to a weapon stockpile and leaving your
fortress undefended
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.