Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Put Your Junk Away!  (Read 839 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Put Your Junk Away!
« on: July 18, 2010, 02:49:27 pm »

I set my barracks with cabinet and coffer, and set to place Individual and Squad EQ to be placed within barracks, and I placed cabinet and coffer and his room, and the dwarf still won't put his socks away... just laying where he dropped them... how do I get him to put them away?

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Put Your Junk Away!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:51:08 pm »

Assign him a bed with a cabinet, not barracks.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:52:04 pm »

Did, "and I placed cabinet and coffer in his room", so they are there too...

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 02:53:22 pm »

TOTAL Side Note: Just had my first mood for this fortress, and it was a child with NO skills in anything except community stuff like talking and joking... waste!

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 02:54:47 pm »

My bad then, didn't see that bit.

Do you have it so they will replace their civilian clothes with their armor?  m -> e -> r?  They'll still wear around most of the stuff under their armor if they aren't told to drop it.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 02:59:03 pm »

That's why he dropped it cause I said "replace" civilian clothes... so he dropped everything, but then I put it back and he didn't dress himself... so I put those containers everywhere and still nothing... nude dwarf with one weapon in his hand!! Guess that's better defense then his actual ability to use the weapon.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:46:39 pm »

Maybe he's just very disorganized by nature?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 06:54:20 pm »

I started playing DF over 2 years ago (though I did take a break for several months in there).  I have NEVER experienced dwarves putting their clothes away.  They just drop their clothes wherever they happen to be standing.  Come to think of it, this may have been the reason why the ability to "hide" items was introduced.

Anyway, unless something happened without me noticing, this scattering of clothing is simply normal dwarven behaviour.

KD

Ahp77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:21:40 pm »

Every day, dwarves seem more and more like teenagers to me...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »

Dwarves do, in fact, store their clothing in cabinets. In my experience, a single dwarf requires two cabinets to store their clothing, or three if you're making new clothes. AFAIK, dwarves do not currently equip new clothing, though.

At the same time, military assigned dwarves refuse to do any civilian jobs (has that been fixed? I don't think so) and putting clothes away is a civilian job. As such, they NEVER get around to it.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »

I was moving his training weapons rack, but placed him on duty to stand at entrance while I was doing so... then canceled 'move' order, and he stood there for a moment... then walked and started to pick them up and place them in his personal room... odd.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 03:04:57 am »

A deploy/undeploy cycle resets their orders. Maybe the "move my stuff back to my room" job was waaaaaaaay in teh backburner and resetting him brought it to the front.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.