Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to deal with the gruesomly buggy military system?  (Read 1867 times)

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with the gruesomly buggy military system?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 08:28:44 am »

I agree with bryan, I'm pretty new to this game an my hunters seem useless, but my 5 dorf squad of leather clad axe carriers have been running around and killing every groundhog and cougar i tell them to. They take a while chasing them down but once they get a hold of them it's really fun to watch. Ditch the crossbows and pass em a melee weapon.

My hunters do ok, but they seem to horribly maim animals rather than killing them outright, and stand there shooting bolt after bolt into the thing until it finally dies. I'm just manufacturing iron bolts and letting the hunters do the rest. They're hunting elephants, chimps and mandrills at the moment.

Xionis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 02:03:24 pm »

Anyone figured out how to keep soldiers "on duty" (so they stay soldiers) but still let them have "time off" (to rest and drink) so they don't complain about long patrols.  I've got a swordsdwarf who is emoing at the moment because they keep swapping from swordsdwarf to peasant every time a change of guard occurs, so they get a "Annoyed at being relieved of duty."  I don't want them "relieved of duty" I want them to just be off duty for a drink and maybe some individual combat drills.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 03:09:23 pm »

They will not get any happy thoughts as long as they have at least one civilian skill.

My soldiers start out as farmers and smelter workers. Often times they're legendary planters or herbalists in addition to being a legendary axedwarf.
Pages: 1 [2]