Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We are the children of the forums. We must delight in the pipe-dream.  (Read 1339 times)

RadPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ensure your dream-hats are on tightly, but not so tight as to impede circulation.

Hark:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We are the forums, the collective voice of the glory of the Fortress. We politely remind all present not to attempt to eat the vermin.

Don't you love where we are now, according to the Great Toad? What we sail towards? Militaries are unbroken. I rejoice! I have something I can do now, in the glorious new combat!

But hark, this next point is wondrous news. This means there may well be dwarves outside soon. The homeless? Will they starve and die? Do we bury them, too?

Modders, think of what the implications are for the improvements to zombies, to wastes, to towns. I am truly happy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:58:47 am by RadPanda »

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am happy about military getting fixed up. but im not sure i love the second point. looks like it will postpone tackling performance issues to an unknown date.

Ant i find this bad.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You sound like religion, and I've played enough Tales games to know nothing good can come of that. D:<

Speaking seriously, I don't know what he means by dwarves that live around you. Around your embark? Like your fortress is a city, and they're the suburbs? It's an interesting concept. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I long for politics and global economy (and of course working fortress economy) in DF, and looking at those proposed additions makes my inner dorf cry from joy as it's, as I reckon, first step to fulfilling those longings ;)

Can't wait for waging wars, answering calls from your sovereign, stacking coins so high that I could build tower out of them, dealing with bandits, immigration and emmigration, wiping goblins (and elves!) of the face of the world, dabbling in feudal structure, sending out envoys to humans and such.

My personal wish is being able to bribe some of the elf's factions to start a civil war amongst their brethren and then subjugating survivors under a *steel low boot's* heel  :D

Can't wait indeed :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:46:51 pm by Fenek »

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's all good!
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly I think there are a fair few nasty little bugs still left behind that really should be fixed before moving on to new things, as they are likely to compound bugs in the new additions or be forever unfixed and annoying. Still, the great Toad continues to toil over a hot keyboard day in day out, so all will be fixed eventually.

Just glad I can come along for the ride. And the magma.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile

Let rejoicing be unimpeded and the celebration be rampant and sexual.
*Waves arms in the air in a manner that having bones should prevent.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm really excited about the sprawl idea.

For one thing, I'm a little tired of the unrealism of making a single 5x10 plot for 200 dwarfs, but the idea of managing more or larger farms doesn't really appeal to me.  Getting a single farm in a hurry is an interesting challenge; managing irrigation, seeds, and processing of more would be tedious.

I can easily imagine the promotion to a barony attracting settlers, who then send frequent, small caravans.  That would permit more realistic food management, more realistic fortress design, and more realistic sieges.

At biome borders, I can easily imagine caravans from the north bringing sunshine, not just to trade to your fortress, but to trade with caravans from the south bringing elk meat, with your fortress collecting taxes on the trade.

I think there are a lot of really cool things that can happen from this.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile

funny you mention that,

i made a challenge fort for myself: a farm fort
all above ground, build a homestead, a barn, and cilos

ill have  roughly 238 10x10 above ground farm plots, along with a dairy farm, and a meat farm
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net

I'd like to see dwarves other than the founding seven capable of making a decision to migrate away from a fortress.

Also, there could be dwarves/humans/elves in the countryside that like to visit your fortress and take in the sights.  Tourist Resort Fortress.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We are the children of the forums. We must delight in the pipe-dream.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 04:01:40 am »

When a siege comes to your fort it should be preceded by a wave of panicked civilians seeking refuge. Would be nice if they needed to eat food but weren't part of your fort and so couldn't do any work tasks - it'd make the decision to seal the fort and wait out the siegers a much more realistic challenge with all those extra mouths to feed. Alternately, if you choose to lock _them_ out, they get massacred by the siegers and in future years the lands around your fort are unproductive due to the lack of peasants working them. A nice tradeoff.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 04:06:12 am »

im all for anything toady releases that makes the game cooler.. duh

but id love to see a few releases dedicated to fixing mid to endgame fps

RadPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 01:18:28 pm »

When a siege comes to your fort it should be preceded by a wave of panicked civilians seeking refuge....make the decision to seal the fort and wait out the siegers a much more realistic challenge with all those extra mouths to feed. Alternately, ...they get massacred by the siegers and in future years the lands around your fort are unproductive due to the lack of peasants working them. A nice tradeoff.

I am automatically supportive anything involving waves of panicked civilians. Also, I'd be interested in playing around with infection vectors for zombie-plagues (maybe just madness would work? Blood gets everywhere!), if those are currently applied to creatures not citizens of your fort.

..and then we get to play with a fun [ENABLE_PLAGUES]Y|N in the init file
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:22:46 pm by RadPanda »