Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Realm of Narnia  (Read 935 times)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
The Realm of Narnia
« on: July 19, 2010, 02:58:34 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is based around archetypal fantasy. Tolkienesque,  populated by elves and dwarves and containing typical fantastic beasts.
Let's throw in a little more Lewis, shall we?
So, here's my idea. We take the elements of C.S.Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia series and add them to Dwarf Fortress. Rather than one person doing everything, it's a communal effort. Any fans of the Narnia mythos can pitch in as much as they want, even if it's just throwing in some intelligent, talking beavers.
The reasoning behind this method is twofold:
1. I've always felt Narnia to be a sizeable part of my childhood, and it represents to me in that regard a sense of friendship and camaraderie. So, let us embark on this adventure together, and bring Narnia to life.
2. I don't know how to make a metal tree for the lamp-post.

So, let's see what you've got.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Re: The Realm of Narnia
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:13:06 pm »

???

isnt df already nerdy enough

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:16:08 pm »

???

isnt df already nerdy enough
It is not even close to nerdy enough to me. Until my dwarves are sportin' green lantern rings and travelling in TARDISes.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 03:56:27 pm »

Care to share something we haven't already seen in DF? Even if it isn't updated to .10.

We've got people working on modern/futuristic.
We've got people adding all kinds of plant life, even some that you don't see any where else.
We've got people making aliens and predators.
We've got people build mario land.
We've got people making endless fantastic creatures.

I've seen talking animal folk. O.o That one isn't hard.

Annnnd because you bring up Tardis' I would like to see daleks. They must be the most powerful creature in the entire game, save for a single creature named "the doctor"
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Aglathan

• Bay Watcher
  • In brightest day, in blackest night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:10:39 pm »

Talking animals are common enough, but the universe of narnia is a little more than talking animals, with about 3 or four new civs, full of new races, and a bunch of megabeasts, it will be one easy mod, but, dwarf fortress it IS easy to mod, mushroom kingdom, while creative, isn't really anything more than messing with the creature raws, and castes, and wasteland mod plays with more things, but with very few exceptions, the basics are the same

So yeah, i aprove narnia mod, at least until someone try to make a spacial dwarf mod, where the caravan is a rocket, and the mountains are planets, and every siege is full of goblins mounted in ships and space whales.