Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how can i not beat criminals with adamantine axes?  (Read 1033 times)

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how can i not beat criminals with adamantine axes?
« on: July 18, 2010, 05:35:15 am »

if i unequip the axes from my military, they will take 100 years to re-equip them once a siege actually does happen.  if i keep them equipped, every violation of a production order or destruction of property or whatever gets punished with death.  then everybody gets miserable because their friend died, then they become criminals and in the end my military does FAR FAR more damage to my dwarves than anything else.  if i equip a second squad with wooden weapons, will they go and beat the criminals instead of my main military squad?

its frustrating, im just getting my one single military squad geared with adamantine stuff to plunder the multiple deep caverns under my fortress and what is defeating me is my stupid dwarves acting retarded.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how can i not beat criminals with adamantine axes?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:57:10 am »

so will criminals not be beaten at all this way? (i kind of want to beat them with wooden hammers lol :P )

EDIT:  also, i am having a major problem with my retarded dwarves not putting corpse pieces away, even though i (o)rdered all corpse related stuff unforbidden.  is this a known bug?  this leads to all my dwarves being exposed to miasma because i cant see one chopped of hand in the middle of 50 dwarves in my mess hall, then everyone goes crazy and it spirals to shit.

i want to die by an immense goblin siege, or some crazy monster made of adamantine comeing up from a cave that i accidentally dug into.as much as the devs would like to think so, losing because of a miasma spiral is not fun.  i almost want to completely disable miasma related stuff (or even bad moods altogether).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:02:55 am by crucifier »

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:36:31 am »

i feel the difference between dying by some crazy monster and dying by miasma is like the difference between dying gloriously and quickly in battle and dying a slow, miserable death alone, from infections requiring amputating limbs one by one over years, completely bedridden the entire time until you die. 

stupid miasma

can someone tell me how to disable people going crazy?  it seems like one person going crazy and dying because of it can cause the entire damn fortress to do the same. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:29:04 am by crucifier »

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 08:14:49 am »

Dwarf pieces will only be stockpiled in a graveyard (or a free coffin), and the orders menu will only apply to new corpses and bits.  Anything that was autoforbidden due to orders will have to be manually reclaimed.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:30:02 am »

well on my game randomly some body part of a dwarf will be forbidden (all other parts are unforbidden).  i assume its some type of glitch

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:02:53 am »

You said it was your military that was beating the prisoners? Did you mean your fortress guard? I'm pretty sure only the guard and sheriff have the ability to apply punishment. If, however, you military is conducting the beatings, I would suggest you remove the Sheriff/Guard Captain from office until the crimes committed expire.
On keeping your dwarves happy: if one idiot's death is causing a tantrum spiral, your dwarves have too many friends. To fix this you need to have a much, much larger meeting area so that dwarves that are idle aren't close enough to each other to converse. Also, use the zones (i) to designate meeting areas instead of designating them from buildings, that way your dwarves won't be able to have parties. Also, even a 5x5 dining room dug out of a soil layer with basic-quality chairs and tables produces a small happy thought, so dining rooms are a worthwhile investment.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:11:00 am »

i just made my giant dining room a meeting hall.  ill use the (i) meeting designation from now on.  also i thought that meeting hall was fairly large, but i guess ill have to make it gigantic

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:41:24 pm »

I had the same problem, in fact it was the captain of the guard and few other hammer lords under his command punishing the "outlaws" lol.
I think they killed at least 10dwarfs (well they died from the wounds), all very good at their job, the last killed was an axelord, one of the first dwarf. So i really had to do something, i kicked them all from that squad, and made an other squad for them. I put a fat dwarf with no fighting skill and procrastination tendancy as the captain of the guard, but then i now have my Duc being pissed because the guys aren't pinished as they should (he was throwing a tantrum when i realised this). So now i made a prison, don't know if it will help. Maybe i'll give a whip to the new captain, i'll see.
If it wasn't the first dwarf fort of the map i wouldn't care, but somehow i would feel bad if the Duc had to die from a jump on an axelord blade, he already pick fist fights around, and i fear for him, also this nab never sleep in his royal room then he whine. I'll try to fill few of his mandate next, and put his romm closer to the main stairs, but i'm not sure he will survive this long.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 06:42:52 pm »

can someone tell me how to disable people going crazy?  it seems like one person going crazy and dying because of it can cause the entire damn fortress to do the same.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31