Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven leaders dead?  (Read 612 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Dwarven leaders dead?
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:42:10 pm »

Hey
I recently started up a new fort. Got everything ready in anticipation of the autumn mountainhome caravan, needing a boost of food. Winter turns, nothing has arrived. So I did a search and from what I can gather, if the dwarves have no important figures, you'll get no caravans. I'm fine with this since I still have elves and humans (hopefully) to trade with. But this brings another problem; I'm only getting about 4 dwarves per migrant wave, so I get hardly any useful dwarves. Is there any workaround without having to restart or something?

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven leaders dead?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:50:34 pm »

You're just in your first winter? Migrant waves in the first year are normally very small (they usually didn't happen at all in 40d). You'll come to regret your words within another couple years when waves of 20-30 migrants start beating down your door.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:51:24 pm »

In suppose, though it was bigger in my previous fort..

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:17:17 pm »

it's all depending on the value of your fortress if you make a few golden statues then they will come rushing in. If you only give them 3 beds and a small dining room with minimal food then you won't get many imigrants even if you manage to make the dwarfs happy (which doesn't affact immigrants.)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 03:22:14 pm »

Depending on how old your world is you might not get anything. be careful.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 03:38:46 pm »

If your leaders are dead, the game implies there are no dwarven sites, and the immigrants you get are creatio ex nihilo, like your starting seven. You get waves only in the first year, so put on your incest hat and hope for the best.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 03:47:22 pm »

that's whats going on in my fort. Up to 60 dwarves, born from my starting seventeen. (only got 10 immigrants)
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"