Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: burrows and stockpiles (pathfinding)  (Read 976 times)

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
burrows and stockpiles (pathfinding)
« on: July 18, 2010, 10:07:34 pm »

i started a fortress where each immigrant wave gets its own mini fortress, while the original 7 have a grand one.  ive been using burrows to do this.  however all the stockpiles in the mini fortress never get filled with stuff from the main fort.  it seems like a job gets generated for the stockpile, it gets assigned to a dwarf, who usually is in the mini burrow, then that dwarf cant path to the item in question since its outside the burrow.  i was hoping that the orig 7, who have no burrow designations would bring stuff to the burrow.  but alas it hardly ever happens (once in a while the job assigner finds the proper dwarf for the job).

has anyone else had to deal with a situation like this?  any thoughts about possible solutions / workarounds to the problem?

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: burrows and stockpiles (pathfinding)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:13:19 pm »

i started a fortress where each immigrant wave gets its own mini fortress, while the original 7 have a grand one.  ive been using burrows to do this.  however all the stockpiles in the mini fortress never get filled with stuff from the main fort.  it seems like a job gets generated for the stockpile, it gets assigned to a dwarf, who usually is in the mini burrow, then that dwarf cant path to the item in question since its outside the burrow.  i was hoping that the orig 7, who have no burrow designations would bring stuff to the burrow.  but alas it hardly ever happens (once in a while the job assigner finds the proper dwarf for the job).

has anyone else had to deal with a situation like this?  any thoughts about possible solutions / workarounds to the problem?

You can't use "take from pile"?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:13:33 pm »

Dedicated hauler dwarves, who don't have any other job and no burrow assignments.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:13:54 pm »

Turn off Hauling on the migrants?  That would prevent them from being assigned the jobs. 

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:31:14 pm »

Turn off Hauling on the migrants?  That would prevent them from being assigned the jobs.

yes! this will work.  once i get them airlocked i can reenable it.

my original 7 had no burrow assignments but they were never assigned the job because it was always assigned to a closer dwarf (namely a dwarf that shared the burrow with the stockpile.

take from pile suffered the same bugs as the other way.