Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragons, Bridges, and you  (Read 705 times)

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragons, Bridges, and you
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:22:55 pm »

Just had a dragon attack my fortress.  It was wounded and unconscious in a trap about 30 tiles from my drawbridge but when I opened the bridge and sent my soldiers to kill the beast, it awoke and breathed fire towards the one dwarf brave enough to venture forth.  The dwarf was unharmed but the bridge was apparently destroyed.  I thought bridges couldn't be destroyed.  Am I mistaken?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons, Bridges, and you
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:23:49 pm »

Just had a dragon attack my fortress.  It was wounded and unconscious in a trap about 30 tiles from my drawbridge but when I opened the bridge and sent my soldiers to kill the beast, it awoke and breathed fire towards the one dwarf brave enough to venture forth.  The dwarf was unharmed but the bridge was apparently destroyed.  I thought bridges couldn't be destroyed.  Am I mistaken?
AFAIK, bridges can only be destroyed by trying to atom-smash something too large.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:35:39 pm »

Was the bridge made of wood? The "building destroyer"s might not actually destroy the bridge, but the dragon fire could still burn it. I think.
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:40:18 pm »

It wasn't made of wood, but wooden walls are as resistant to fire and magma as stone and block ones in any case.  It does occur to me that maybe bridges can be destroyed by dragon fire when they are are in the open position as this one was since I was sending my troops out to slay the monster.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 09:01:55 pm »

Bridges aren't constructions, so they don't share construction's immunity to fire or building-destroyer damage.  Buildings, including bridges, can be destroyed by fire and magma.  I don't know much about the physics of what happens when dragonfire hits buildings, but if the dragonfire acts like fire or magma and the bridge wasn't magma-safe, it could have been destroyed that way.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:06:29 pm »

Bridges aren't constructions, so they don't share construction's immunity to fire or building-destroyer damage.  Buildings, including bridges, can be destroyed by fire and magma.  I don't know much about the physics of what happens when dragonfire hits buildings, but if the dragonfire acts like fire or magma and the bridge wasn't magma-safe, it could have been destroyed that way.

Not to derail the thread, but we REALLY need magma dragons!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Cephas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 11:07:05 pm »

Arena mode has taught me that enough dragonfire will melt living creatures. I'd assume it could do the same to things in your fortress.

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 01:43:06 am »

Not to derail the thread, but we REALLY need magma dragons!
[/quote]

Well, I just killed a mud titan.  First it chased a cat all over the map several times trying to spit deadly poison on it.  Then, after my dwarves killed it, they all just stood around the mess looking at all the muck, wondering what that was all about.

As for a magma dragon, what if it could tunnel its way through solid rock?!  Like the Horta... http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Horta

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 02:24:00 am »

The magma dragon is basically what Deathwing from WOW is, no? That's something I could get behind.