Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Job Priority's  (Read 1191 times)

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Job Priority's
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:14:34 am »

It would be great to give priority's to the jobs, so you can give your brewer a secondary task as stone detailer wich he drops when you need booze.
The simplest implentation would be giving dwarfs a primary and secondary profession.
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Job Priority's
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:22:16 am »

Being as I just recently suggested something very similar to this, all I can say is that I obviously support it, and, "Good Luck".  Apparently, there is a small, but very vocal set of people who positively despise the idea for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:30:31 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:46:57 pm »

Being as I just recently suggested something very similar to this, all I can say is that I obviously support it, and, "Good Luck".  Apparently, there is a small, but very vocal set of people who positively despise the idea for no apparent reason.

Not to be nit-picky or derail a thread but I just read through the topic you started and saying they "despise the idea" "for no apparent reason" seems to imply you didn't make much effort reading any of the several other posts in that thread.  You shouldn't take people's disagreement with your idea of an external scripting program as some sort of mindless rage towards the idea of making brewing more important then engraving.

Edit - MOST people think job priorities are a great idea, in fact it's #8 on the eternal suggestion voting topic, when NW_Kohaku says a "small, but very vocal set of people against it (and for no reason), he means his own idea, which isn't this idea.

But, in an effort to add more to this thread I"ll have to say the idea of having a primary profession has probably been mentioned before but is fairly simple and the UI for that would certainly be easier then ordering every job, also it simplifies problems with having to deal with different priorities across multiple dwarves (or not having that option).  I like that as maybe a hotkey you can press while in the labors menu ingame.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:00:35 pm by Mason11987 »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 04:01:29 pm »

Still don't like having so much control over what the dwarves do. They should chose jobs themselves depending upon what they think is most important to do right now. That way, Toady has a framework to add more influence of personal preferences, law and order and Nobel commands. It's bad enough that we have to queue every job ourselves already.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 04:28:22 pm »

Still don't like having so much control over what the dwarves do. They should chose jobs themselves depending upon what they think is most important to do right now. That way, Toady has a framework to add more influence of personal preferences, law and order and Nobel commands. It's bad enough that we have to queue every job ourselves already.

But I don't think a "t" (max priority, as in the manager queue) in the labors menu would really be difficult (on the user).

But I agree, all of this should be superceded by the dwarves individuality.   I like that DF isn't a "do-exactly-what-I-command" RTS.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 05:03:45 pm »

It's not that it's difficult, it's just that it's immersion breaking to have to order up a load of booze every time even though the manager knows bloody well we're running low on booze.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 05:14:03 pm »

It's not that it's difficult, it's just that it's immersion breaking to have to order up a load of booze every time even though the manager knows bloody well we're running low on booze.

The tricky thins is that not every time you have plump helmets and little booze do you want to turn the helmets into booze.  For example, maybe you need the barrels to get lye setup so you can get soap to save your master brewer from dying?  Maybe you only have a few more helmets for food, and you'd prefer your dwarves not starve? they will survive with water after all.

Even "make booze when it's low" isn't EXACTLY simple, at least not always.  Just something to think about.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 06:34:53 pm »

It's actually something I'd like my dwarves to think about for a change.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 06:47:44 pm »

Not to be nit-picky or derail a thread but I just read through the topic you started and saying they "despise the idea" "for no apparent reason" seems to imply you didn't make much effort reading any of the several other posts in that thread.  You shouldn't take people's disagreement with your idea of an external scripting program[/b] as some sort of mindless rage towards the idea of making brewing more important then engraving.

Oh hey, look, someone who didn't read a thing I wrote is complaining that I don't read what people write.  I'd say I'm surprised, but this defines everyone who was doing this: You are making up strawman positions to fight against, ignoring anything I am actually saying.

I actually am fairly conflicted on the subject of how much of a leash we put on the dwarves.  On the one hand, DF is a game with so little forgivness for error, and which creates so much frustration when dwarves take actions contrary to our intent that it is hard to argue for making dwarves more responsible for their own actions.  On the other hand, dwarves that are a little more self-centered and individual, based on personality traits, would make the dwarves more than simple units of "happy face" markers. 

As a sort of bridge between the two, I previously suggested the ability to put in how soon a dwarf will take a break for food or even personal time as a priority on their script.  I also would prefer dwarves obviously have a lower limit on how much straight productive time they will take based on their own personalities.  While it would seem strange to make dwarves more independent by directly telling them when to take their "me time", if you can set when they take their breaks as a priority, so that some priorities will take greater precedent (up to the limit where they have to quit because they are starving or dehydrating), you can schedule in more dwarf time... unless you like being a harsh task master, but then, you could let happiness elements degrade performance at that point.

A problem is, though, that players would need some sort of interface signal that says when and why a dwarf is taking the actions they are.  Otherwise it's just dwarves being contrarian to some players.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare