Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A flesh ball is crashing my DF  (Read 1109 times)

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A flesh ball is crashing my DF
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:28:46 pm »

I have a flesh ball wandering one of my caverns.  If I try to query it with 'k', my DF crashes.  I migrated the save from .08 to .10, but I don't remember if I tried querying it then.  Any advice on how to debug something like this?  I believe my raws are correct.  The only change I've done was an edit to the domestic cat.

Of course I can simply avoid querying it, but that's neither here nor there.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: A flesh ball is crashing my DF
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:44:15 pm »

If you just want it gone you can use the Runesmith utility to kill it.  Sorry but that's as much help as I can be on this subject :P

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:46:21 am »

Thanks, I might have to resort to that.  I previously had a fort where some creature/caravan/something would show up at a specific date and the game would always crash.  Lost a decent fort there, hoping to not lose this one to a silly bug.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:54:27 pm »

Can't you just send your guys in, kill it and butcher it?   

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 01:59:16 pm »

O, the lone flesh ball, destroyer of worlds!

I'd guess it's part of a larger problem given that creatures have inexplicably crashed your game before. Some system-related, mayhap?

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 05:24:29 pm »

He was in an isolated section of the caverns, so I couldn't get to him before.  I did some tunneling and managed to kill him without crashing the game.  I was sure engaging it in combat would cause a crash...

I'd guess it's part of a larger problem given that creatures have inexplicably crashed your game before. Some system-related, mayhap?
It's possible.  I'm curious if the cause of some of these crashes is my ineptitude to migrate saves appropriately or making modifications to the game, tho they are very minor.  My only mod is editing the raws for the cat, though...

Well, the flesh ball is dead now.  So far the catastrophe has been averted.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:06:16 pm »

He was in an isolated section of the caverns, so I couldn't get to him before.  I did some tunneling and managed to kill him without crashing the game.  I was sure engaging it in combat would cause a crash...

It's possible.  I'm curious if the cause of some of these crashes is my ineptitude to migrate saves appropriately or making modifications to the game, tho they are very minor.  My only mod is editing the raws for the cat, though...

Well, the flesh ball is dead now.  So far the catastrophe has been averted.

As you say.

I only pray that the impending armada dispatched from deep within the Flesh Ball Empire coming to avenge their fallen brother takes its sweet time...