Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help, possibly a written detailed guide for -  (Read 1054 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help, possibly a written detailed guide for -
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:18:52 pm »

making a working army, making a working hospital

that would be a step by step process of setting it up

i havent messed with the 2 yet so far i was content with flooding everything with magma/water but that has gotten boring so i wanted to make a army and failed horribly so i need help to do it

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:22:53 pm by Uthric »

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help, possibly a written detailed guide for -
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:27:56 pm »

hospitals: very easy

BEFORE anyone gets hurt(much easier that way)

go to the zones menu with 'i' and designate an area for a hospital, anywhere that looks good, from here you can hit 'H' to designate hospitals supplies

then, build some beds, however many you need 5-20 depending on your fortress size

after that, build some containers, rock coffers or wooden chests, your dwarves will proceed to fill those up with various materials, and they will go over the hospitals set limit

instead of soap, its much easier to build a well within the hospitals zone
currently gypsum plaster doesnt work, or doesnt want to work
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

mardukarn

• Bay Watcher
  • Urgescourges the Ungodly Fiend of Juices
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:53:27 pm »

Here's what typically happens for me: I build a hospital exactly as described. Dwarves don't put thread, plaster or anything else in the containers. Healthy dwarves sleep in the beds. Injured dwarves get plopped in normal bedrooms and never get treated.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 01:14:36 pm »

Did you remember to assign a chief medical dwarf on the nobles screen? I usually nominate my best diagnostician and give him an office in the hospital, if not an assigned bedroom with local meeting area to make sure he's nearby. Also, turn off all of his non-doctoring labors.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 01:40:18 pm »

Instead of depending on dwarves putting supplies in the hospital zone, put the required materials in stockpiles near or in the hospital. For example, I put my cloth stockpile inside the hospital (they take from the stockpile anyway, even if there are supplies properly brought to the hospital). I also make one custom stockpile that takes all my splints. If you want to avoid a large amount of stockpiling in your hospital, just do a small stockpile leeching from the big one ("take from pile...").

Avoid plaster, avoid soap. Most of the time, neither will work. Plaster occasionally bugs my doctors near a well (?) (I have to assign to military squad and take them to active duty to break it).

Remember to put tables as well.

Every dwarf needs his own room, or they will go to dormatory or hospitals instead. To avoid them filling up your hospital, either make proper rooms for everyone (which they should have anyway) or build more beds in the hospital.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:43:38 pm by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:01:00 pm »

also: i dont think thread, cloth, ect. in stockpile is taken
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 05:00:38 pm »

It's fairly easy to deal with the overstock.  Just go inside each container and order them to dump the excess, then recover the items from the dump.  This won't work, of course, if you dump into magma.   :o

No matter how many beds there are, even assigned masterwork beds in engraved rooms, Dwarves will still sleep in the hospital if the hospital bed is closer to them than any other bed when they decide to crash.

Having said all that, I've never gotten a Dwarf treated in my hospitals.  I have fully stocked hospitals, except for the gypsum plaster powder which won't store in the chests, well-trained medical Dwarves whose only work is to stand around waiting for patients, and a Chief Medical Dwarf with great diagnostic skills.  I still have Dwarves wandering around with broken fingers and toes untreated.  Maybe if their guts were trailing along the ground behind them they would represent an "interesting case" to the medical Dwarves, who knows.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 05:41:42 pm »

Currently, the hospital system will only take care of those who are unconcious on hospital beds, and have scheduled treatments (or need diagnosis). Many dwarves are so tough they'll ignore treatment, when not needed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 05:44:30 pm by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:11:12 pm »

I still have Dwarves wandering around with broken fingers and toes untreated.  Maybe if their guts were trailing along the ground behind them they would represent an "interesting case" to the medical Dwarves, who knows.   :P

Gregory McHouse cancels Drink: Diagnosing gut trail   ?
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.