Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make dirt walls stone?  (Read 12637 times)

terribleturbine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Make dirt walls stone?
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:35:25 pm »

Hi everbody, just started playing dwarf fortress, loving it so far. Question though; other than digging out a dirt wall and building a stone wall in it's place, is there a way to change the material in the wall?

For instance, I've made dug out my great room, about half of it is in granite and the other in silt. I've smoothed the walls and want to add statues, but it just bugs me that half of the floors and walls look like dirt.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make dirt walls stone?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:15:16 pm »

You must dig the clay walls out first. Then you can:

1. Replace with constructed walls. Disadvantage is you cannot engrave constructions yet.
2. Cave-in natural stone layers. But you must have natural undug stones above to do this, and the tunnels you used to setup the cave-in would be quite a mess.
3. Magma + water to create natural obsidian. 100% doable, but quite a lot of work involved!

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »

I have similar aesthetic woes around my entry hallways. As said by kcwong, nothing can be done but digging out the dirt and building a line of artificial stone walling in its stead--two problems with this being the artificial walls cannot be engraved and there will be additional dirt tiles surrounding them, which ruins the symmetry of the hallway in respect to the blackness around it, but maybe that may not bother others as much as it does me. :P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 05:31:46 pm »

If you really want them engraved, you could always pump magma and water into that space, making obsidian, then smooth and engrave the obsidian.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:06:01 pm »

I refuse to allow any of my walls to be made out of dirt. All walls must be made out of stone, either natural stone or stone block walls. In the case of fortifications or walls subject to possible attack the walls are at least 2 layers thick. Preferably more.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 06:10:49 pm »

An annoying situation, to be sure, but there isn't any good solution. You can dig out and replace the wall, and simply build over the floors, but you can't engrave constructions. Since you want your hall to be as ornate as possible, that kinda sucks. Replacing all of it (stone and silt) with gold blocks might prove acceptable (and is quite doable in the current version with its crazy mineral wealth).

Personally I take pains to avoid this situation, having encountered it once. I just stick my farms, stockpiles, and some plumping above my dining hall, which is usually enough to keep it firmly in the bedrock. In extreme cases I might even stick the bedrooms above the dining room, such that if I run into dirt deeper then I expect I can just stick some unskilled haulers in there.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 06:13:49 pm »

If you make the walls out of iron or steel blocks it will be extremely valuable even though its not engraved.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 07:33:04 pm »

If you make the walls out of iron or steel blocks it will be extremely valuable even though its not engraved.
or even obsidian can help as well
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 01:28:11 am »

You can engrave obsidian cast walls of course.

But I do like the idea of my fortress walls being armor plated with heavy iron blocks. Also it lets me customize the room! If an important dwarf likes a particular material I can build his walls out of that material.

Unfortunately rooms are broken currently, but once its fixed its a useful thing to do.