Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading Question  (Read 775 times)

Xionis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading Question
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »

Hello all,

Relative newcomer to the game, I've played a few fortresses on an older version with a tutorial to help me get into the swing of things, and now I'm working on a fort in the current version.

Came across a problem involving trade that no amount of searching through the forums, the wiki, or even google has solved for me.  Often goods I try and buy "in bulk" hundreds or thousands of dwarfbucks in value at a time (say, several hundred leather pieces because dammit I don't have a kitten industry yet and every moody dwarf wants leather).  After getting the trade to go through, generally by offering copious amounts of worthless rock carved into pretty shapes, I wait for the departure of the caravan and the removal of my new leather supplies to the stockpile.  Except...when the traders leave, there's no leather. 

I'm sure I'm missing something blatantly obvious but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get items I've traded for with the merchants to actually APPEAR in my fortress after they've left.  Most recently I purchased a very large amount of wood from an elven caravan because my mountain home is somewhat sparse in that regard.  Again...after the caravan left, my wood stockpiles still sit at the meager 17 I'm hoarding til the trees regrow. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

elwessweettea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:20:21 pm »

• ffering? You want to [t]rade.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:34:51 pm »

I think he's right, are you (o)ffering the items, or (t)rading them? If you could post a screenshot, that would be invaluable. If you don't figure it out in this thread and really need help, PM sometime later next week and I'll post a picture by picture walkthrough (or maybe a video walkthrough if you're that confused).

The community is probably 75% of the fun of DF, and I hate to see newcomers get discouraged.

BTW, is that tutorial the epic-super-wtf-amnesia-kindergarten-tutorial (or something along those lines.... hehe) because if so, I learned on the same one.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Xionis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 04:52:48 pm »

Yes the Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial was the one I followed, very handy and well written. 

I will make double sure next time I trade that I am indeed TRADING, I thought I was but so many other things I've done subtly wrong and then wondered why everyone in my fort is suddenly drowning themselves and/or the neighbors. 

Hopefully next caravan will make it in time for my current moody dwarf to get some sand/glass from it, the mook decided he needed an abysmally large amount of glass on a map where I have no sand.  If not, I have a captured goblin thief I'm considering dumping into an arena with him, and see if he gets over his glass fetish that way.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 04:55:26 pm »

I thought I was but so many other things I've done subtly wrong and then wondered why everyone in my fort is suddenly drowning themselves and/or the neighbors. 

Can I sig that?

And like I said, screens would help dramatically, so we can see that you're doing it correctly. Otherwise, you might THINK you're doing it right, and therefore SAY the right things, even though those things are not what you're actually doing.

DF is a hell of a game.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 05:29:46 pm »

Try pressing t and highlighting the depot.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 05:34:12 pm »

When you do trade for something, you wont have to wait until the merchants leave in order to get it.

Soon as it's owned, if you have either a moody dwarf waiting for the item, or a stockpile that will accept it, dwarves that can haul (or the moody one itself) will immediately head over to the depot to carry off the item.  So when you do trade successfully, you can tell instantly if you have a place for the tradegoods to be put.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Xionis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:02:57 pm »

@existent: Sure lol.

@Everyone else: Tyvm for all the advice, I did finally figure it out, I step by stepped the next caravan that came and actually managed to acquire the goods I'd asked for, so my guess is I was indeed "Offering" instead of "Trading" which explains why after the first year EVERYONE loved me. (2-3000 dwarfbucks of free stuff will do that apparently).  Not so good for keeping a mountain top fortress supplied with wood however.

Next projects: Determine how to safely remove my Militia Commander from the cage he got himself trapped in fending off goblins, or, failing that, how to get the most entertainment out of a accidentally caged dwarf...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 07:09:04 pm »

If you decide to free him, it's pretty simple-- build the cage someplace (b-j), then q over the cage, assign creature to cage, unassign the dwarf.

But see if you can figure out anything fun to do with him first :)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 07:13:08 pm »

Use him as the bait in an overly complicated gobbo death trap. Bonus if being the bait inherently kills hims- IE, trap activates upon his death.