Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military workarounds in 0.31.10  (Read 1232 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Military workarounds in 0.31.10
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:16:00 pm »

I'm using DF v0.31.08, and of course there are still bugs to be worked out. But there's only one truly game-breaking one: my military dwarves won't train! I'm sure it's already well-documented in the bug-tracker, but I was wondering if there's a workaround for now.

See, I defined a barracks from an armor stand, and made a militia commander. The commander is training just fine, by himself. However, when I add any other dwarves to the squad, they don't seem to notice. They just go on as normal. The only time my military dwarves actually become recruits is when I issue a kill order. But after that's done, they just return to normal. So now my militia commander just stands in the barracks doing combat drills by himself all day. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:26:50 pm by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military workarounds in 0.31.08
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 06:28:26 pm »

I have the exact same problem. Apparently just leaving them with no orders will have them train themselves every now and then the same as your militia commander. However in practice, I'm pretty sure it's down to each individual dwarf. If they have the personality trait "doesn't do more work than is necessary" or something like that, they wont train themselves I don't think.

Any further help on this would be appreciated by both the OP and myself :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:36:19 pm »

Disable ALL labor's for each dwarf in a squad and clear the entire schedule. Regardless of dwarf personality, eventually any military dwarf will eventually start doing individual combat drills, although it can take more time for some than others to get going.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:10:17 pm »

huh? they won't train because training is set for a full ten dwarves.

and dwarves aren't smart enough to interpret "ten dwarves" as everybody in the squad.

Set a smaller training regiment, like 1 man down, and then try.

Also, make sure you have a barracks for them to train in
(bed, armour rack, weapons rack or archery target)
And that the squad has the "T" for train next to their name.

It works it's just really clunky and sometimes buggy.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:22:12 pm by eerr »

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:22:28 pm »

It works it's just really clunky and sometimes buggy.

The worst should get dealt with tommorow , or so devlog says.

Also Galeos i've a profound respect for you.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 12:36:05 am »

I was wondering if you would say something about that.  :D
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 02:16:12 am »

The problem with the "training" is that it means group training, and if your leader has poor Organization skill (why wouldn't they?) they'll never actually get everything put together.  Worse, if you set it to 10 (what seems like the obvious answer), that means the group training won't start until EVERYONE is ready - no eating, sleeping, etc.

If you want them to do individual training, just set them to inactive and disable their labors.  They'll be legendary axedwarves in no time.

summary: The poor organization thing MIGHT be a bug, but usually the "dwarves won't train" thing is more a result of nonexistent documentation than bugs.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:25:03 pm »

Well, I got all my dwarves turned into recruits and into the barracks, but now they're all "waiting for combat training". One dwarf, who isn't the squad leader, is leading a striking demonstration, but no one else is with him. Everyone else is waiting for the combat drill, but no one is even organizing it!
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:13:32 am »

Well, I got all my dwarves turned into recruits and into the barracks, but now they're all "waiting for combat training". One dwarf, who isn't the squad leader, is leading a striking demonstration, but no one else is with him. Everyone else is waiting for the combat drill, but no one is even organizing it!

Set the schedule to inactive, disable their other labors, and it'll sort itself out.  They'll do individual combat drill.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military workarounds in 0.31.10
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 10:26:15 am »

Here are my observations so far:

To get everyone to train properly:

1. Schedule a training order, with the minimum set to the number of dwarves in the squad.

2. Build TWO barracks type things (I used an armor stand and a weapon stand)

3. Define a barracks from each, overlapping with each other. (Not sure if that is necessary--I've only done this once)

4. Set both barracks to '[T]rain' the squad you want to train there.

5. Toggle the squad to inactive, unpause, then toggle to active/train (or whatever alert you have them scheduled to train in). I happened to have all labors disabled for my soldiers when I did this, but I doubt its necessary, as they all turned into the soldier graphic when I did this.

Before I did the above, I would have some of the dwarves deciding to train at the barracks in their civilian graphic, doing individual combat drills or something, and randomly some others who would turn into the soldier graphic and go to/organize group demonstrations. The ones who would turn into the soldier graphic seemed random, and would switch around every month (some months none would turn soldier, some months a few would. I had only done step 1, with 1 barracks set to train the squad.) As soon as I built the second barracks, set it to train the squad too, and toggled inactive/active, the entire squad turned soldier and went to train.

Also note that they will no longer starve or dehydrate themselves in 31.10, so you can safely have them on-duty year round (I have, and haven't had any problems with their emotional well-being)

Another problem I had was with training specific weapons--I noticed after a good while of training, half the squad hadn't gotten any weapon skill, and was still just doing striking/dodging. Looking in their inventory, they would have 2 shields, one in each hand, or sometimes just 1 shield, but no training axe (even though their uniform said to get one). I defined an empty uniform, told it to replace civilian clothes, and assigned it to all dwarves in the squad. After they ran and put most of their equipment away (for some reason some of them kept a shield), I swapped them back to the uniform with both shield & training axe, and they all went and got one (although some also had a shield... i.e., 2 shields and a training axe). Anyway, now they are all learning how to use axes :)

dkoz314

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Military workarounds in 0.31.10
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:11:20 pm »

I have a couple dwarves that are "Going to X training", but they don't do anything but eat or drink.  Even when removed from the squad they just stand around and continue to say their task is "Going to X training".  Is there a trick to break them out of this loop?