Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you deal with hospital beds?  (Read 833 times)

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you deal with hospital beds?
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:25:03 pm »

My hospital is always fairly near the entrance and there is a lot of activity there for me. I have 8 or so hospital beds at the moment and they are quicky filled by dwarves not wanting to walk back to their rooms. I'd like to be able to tell who is sick by looking at those beds.

I made the entire hospital into a restricted traffic zone and the route to the bedrooms high traffic but I haven't seen a difference.  What do YOU do?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with hospital beds?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:41:42 pm »

i live with it :/  12 hospital beds, after some recent giant bat trouble, 4 will be permanently used due to a bunch of invalids, and the other 8 will serve my dwarfs
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 04:44:56 pm »

Well... I heard that you can use burrows to somehow keep the lazy dwarves away.

but what I do is pretty simple. I keep the hospital far within my fortress in an area that people don't really have any reason to frequent. I don't want invaders getting at my wounded dorfs anytime soon and wandering Urists don't generally find the hospital interesting if it's out of their way.

If I have a well at the hospital I make sure to have other wells in the meeting area ... um.. I have alot of wells, actually.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »

Well... I heard that you can use burrows to somehow keep the lazy dwarves away.

but what I do is pretty simple. I keep the hospital far within my fortress in an area that people don't really have any reason to frequent. I don't want invaders getting at my wounded dorfs anytime soon and wandering Urists don't generally find the hospital interesting if it's out of their way.

If I have a well at the hospital I make sure to have other wells in the meeting area ... um.. I have alot of wells, actually.

Thats what I do. I keep it on the surface though, with my military dwarfs in a castle. If their beds are closer then you're all good.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 04:55:03 pm »

I always make the route to the hospital pass through the dorms, so that there will almost always be a closer bed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:18:11 pm »

I always make the route to the hospital pass through the dorms, so that there will almost always be a closer bed.

This.

Always works! Only time hospital beds are ever used by non-sick dwarves is if the dorms get filled up.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:22:48 pm »

This.

Always works! Only time hospital beds are ever used by non-sick dwarves is if the dorms get filled up.
Restrict passage to the hospital. Have a forbidden door that you can unforbid to allow patients and food carriers.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 06:08:23 pm »

If you put the hospital towards the edge of the map, with dorms between the hospital and your dwarves, the dorms will soak up the sleepy dwarves, leaving all hospital beds free for injured dwarves. All done automatically with no intervention needed.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 06:26:34 pm »

Hospitals?

Screw that. Let them grind their medical skills the old fashioned way.