Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma safe pump stack.  (Read 1246 times)

Ustfoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magma safe pump stack.
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:07:48 pm »

Hokay. Been playing a little while. Somewhat intermediate. I am attempting my first GRANDE (read, nonefficient) fortress.

Through careful exploration I have discovered a small area that descends all the way to the magma sea without piercing a cavern. I am attempting to construct a pump stack that will manage this feat (148 pumps!). I have the earth dug out for the stack, but before I start installing pumps I would like to know if the walls surrounding the pump stack need to be magma safe. That is, do I need to dig 14 tiles out around my pumps and construct walls, or am I okay to just start pumping?

If you need a visual aid: Here is the basic layout Do my #s need to be constructed/magmasafe?

###
 #~#
X#^#
 +%#
 #~#
 ###

(edit I used the %> convention to represent pump direction. % being intake,)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Re: Magma safe pump stack.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:29:41 pm »

pretty sure jus the pumps need to b magma safe, dont believe the actual composition of the dirt/rock around it matter

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 08:36:39 pm »

Walls are walls, and no matter what they're made of they're magma safe. Yes even wood.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:28:56 pm »

Walls are walls, and no matter what they're made of they're magma safe. Yes even wood.
And even ice, so long as it's a constructed ice wall (as opposed to a natural ice wall, which will definitely melt).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:44:04 pm »

Not even the pumps need to be magma-safe, just non-wooden.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.