Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer next to magma...Uh huh...  (Read 1118 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Aquifer next to magma...Uh huh...
« on: July 15, 2010, 05:44:48 am »

So on my embark, I chose a nice mountainous volcano with plenty of vegetation on the sides as well as a valley brook/stream far below.  As I begin my traditional strip mines down the mountain, i hit some damp stone and seeing as i had recently irrigated the level above i decided to keep digging.  Apparently aquifers can appear next to a magma pipe and about halfway up a mountain >_> so to solve the problem I considered building a pump stack etc.  But then, I remembered a glorious fact:  I am halfway up a mountain.  So now I am draining an aquifer into the valley below :D 

What are some other methods I could use to solve my problem?  Should I create a pump system to drain it faster? :-\
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer next to magma...Uh huh...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:47:44 am »

Aquifers have infinite water.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:13:00 am »

Aquifers have infinite water, but that water doesn't come at an infinite rate.  You could always pump stack it into the valley, and worry about draining the valley later.

Of course, you could take advantage of that volcano too, and create obsidian walls in the aquifer.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:12:08 am »

can you just walk down the mountain, under the aquafer, and start building there?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:19:09 am »

take advantage of your water/magma and obsidianize the edge of your map
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:52:42 pm »

hmmm...well this has become a facepalm moment now...I made a ten wide hole leading from the aquifer out to the valley...>_>

also, it is in a layer of sand so it couldnt get walled where it was and it will just leak out the sides anyway :/

EDIT:  I will try pumping magma out into the world and also maybe try walling off my massive whole in the aquifer by utilizing pumps...hopefully i dont kill the stream supplying my well...but if i do i will just reroute that blasted aquifer to it... XD

EDIT:  well, time to seal off my base and hope for the best...PULL THE LEVER!

EDIT:  Hmmmm...magma decided to flow in front of my drawbridge...this wouldnt be a problem if I had a water source above the magma...-sigh- well merchants were always overrated right?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:19:08 pm by Xenos »
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:04:11 pm »

So on my embark, I chose a nice mountainous volcano with plenty of vegetation on the sides as well as a valley brook/stream far below.  As I begin my traditional strip mines down the mountain, i hit some damp stone and seeing as i had recently irrigated the level above i decided to keep digging.  Apparently aquifers can appear next to a magma pipe and about halfway up a mountain >_> so to solve the problem I considered building a pump stack etc.  But then, I remembered a glorious fact:  I am halfway up a mountain.  So now I am draining an aquifer into the valley below :D 

What are some other methods I could use to solve my problem?  Should I create a pump system to drain it faster? :-\

I have this same... "problem."

It's only a problem because I can't get any more migrants (cause a pair of megabeasts killed everyone), so I have to manually dig around the fecking aquifer to get to the delicious lava and can't sacrifice one to Armok and yadda yadda yadda.

Oh wait. I just realized that I didn't bring an anvil. I guess it's obsidian swords for everyone then, huh? Cause no one else is alive and all.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 04:16:06 pm »

You could just pump some magma into the aquifer... Too late I guess, have fun!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 04:21:33 pm »

Migrants aren't my issue...I have tons of the lazy buggers >:( I guess now I will build a gym so they can get trained for when I need to pump the aquifer back out to solidify the magma.  Hopefully that water would evaporate away relatively quickly...

EDIT screw it i am opening the main gate.  let the dwarves have Fun with that
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:57:27 pm by Xenos »
[DWARFINEERING]

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:30:23 pm »

Migrants aren't my issue...I have tons of the lazy buggers >:( I guess now I will build a gym so they can get trained for when I need to pump the aquifer back out to solidify the magma.  Hopefully that water would evaporate away relatively quickly...

EDIT screw it i am opening the main gate.  let the dwarves have Fun with that

I meant I'm on the relatively same map as you, but I just can obsidianize the water without possibly killing one of my valuable miners and melting one of my two irreplaceable picks. Unless I use a fortification, that is.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.