Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Gold weapon?  (Read 11167 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold weapon?
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2010, 07:30:10 pm »

overall I could see a gold "Club" of sorts being used..

However, If I was the person holding it, I might opt for a wooden plank with a nail in it instead, probably more effective, longer reach, more penetration power, much lighter and if that penetration did occur, I could use it to drag them to the ground and stomp on their helmet.

any sort of gold weapon would be quite ineffective really, but as a decorative bit, it could certainly add a lot of value to a weapon in DF or in RL.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold weapon?
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:45 pm »

But if the purpose is to penetrate armor into someone's squishy body, the last thing you want (aside from something that isn't pointed at all) is a wide-angle wedge. You want something with more concentrated force, and a wedge like that would be too wide to pass through the armor much anyway. It's basically pointless (hurr).
But dwarves don't just fight goblins in armor, they also have to be able to deal with creatures twisted into this shape or that, and made of wood, stone, metal, or whatever. :P The 'natural' armor of magical enemies would also be, um, unexpected, I'll say. At least hypothetically, since we've given up on talking about any part of the existing game.

There is effectively no situation where a freaking wood-splitting wedge-mallet is ever going to be a particularly good idea, unless you're literally fighting stationary cut logs. I guess if you have some giant treant-type creature and your other dudes have taken it down with ropes Gulliver's Travels-style, you might want to use woodcutting equipment to chunk it apart... but gold would barely hold enough of an edge for that to work, so it would still suck.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]