Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nasty Forgotten Beast  (Read 1396 times)

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nasty Forgotten Beast
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »

Recently, i got a message about some 3-eyed huge goat coming. I sent 6 champions against it and in about 30 seconds it was over... at least i thought so. When they were returning from caverns, i noticed miasma clouds everywhere. I got a bad feeling about that and forbid the hatch cover that was connecting the path from caverns to my fortress. Soon i noticed, that all champions have lost vision and all their body is rotting. Not being able watching them rotting in cold caverns with no food and booze, i actually let them in. I immediately restricted the hospital zone - only doctors had access. So the treatment began.
Actually it was so bad, that i reversed the save. I am just curious now about this incident.

So... after some diagnostics the doctors begun working in clouds of miasma. Patients were cleaned, had rotten tissue removed and sutured. Miasma didn't dissappear.
Actually i have a couple of questions:
1) Everyone of them had vision lost in health window. Did that mean, they could see nothing and couldn't fight anymore?
2) If the treatment had gone smooth, and every champion had got full treatment, would the miasma and rotting thing had disappeared?
3) If yes, could it affect somehow their stats? I mean, would they had gotten weaker or less agile?

To make it short, i just want to know the consequences of all this rotting and miasma thing. Cause it seems to me, that with much rotten tissue removed, the living creature can't be as strong and agile as it used to be.
P.S. One of them actually didn't wait for full treatment and went to barracks training. With miasma and rotting body. It was really strange. Actually, it didn't kill them and i don't know if rotting kills dwarves? If no... well, having a zombie-miasma-producing-champion-squad isn't really a nice thing...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:00:55 pm by Aravin »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:06:42 pm »

Urist McZombie the blind and rotting champion enters the barracks and shouts "ALRIGHT! WHO WANTS TO SPARR!?" and start swinging his axe around

Urist McNanny watches helplessly as the nursery is painted red.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:10:45 pm »

Urist McZombie the blind and rotting champion enters the barracks and shouts "ALRIGHT! WHO WANTS TO SPARR!?" and start swinging his axe around

Urist McNanny watches helplessly as the nursery is painted red.

:D :D :D
I Lol'ed myself, man  :D

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:17:45 pm »

If no... well, having a zombie-miasma-producing-champion-squad isn't really a nice thing...

And so, the first dwarven Plague Marines are born.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:21:45 pm »

If no... well, having a zombie-miasma-producing-champion-squad isn't really a nice thing...

And so, the first dwarven Plague Marines are born.

Hell yea) Should have made for them a pit. Build them bedrooms there and dumping food, booze and new equipment regularly. And when some gobbo siege comes... just unleash them and watch the carnage.