Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to mod the monarch to not require 150ish dorfs?  (Read 1293 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just purely for FPS issues, I don't like running forts that huge, but it is irksome that one of the main "story arcs" can't be completed without them.
I don't see anything in the raws that refers to population minimums or to "metropolis" status for the monarch. Is there a workaround?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Is there a way to mod the monarch to not require 150ish dorfs?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:22:24 pm »

The only workaround would involve a binary patch - the requirements for becoming a Metropolis are (and have always been) hardcoded to the following:
* Population 140
* At least 5 of the following:
** 50 crafting jobs
** 50 metal-related jobs
** 50 wood-related jobs
** 20 gem jobs
** 50 stone jobs
** 50 food jobs
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:24:53 pm »

Just realized there is another workaround - while the requirements for becoming a Metropolis are fixed, it is certainly possible to use DFHack to make yourself a Metropolis with a single command:

Code: [Select]
:lua df.global.ui.fortress_rank = 5
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:00:28 pm »

Nice! Would this also work for going to a higher nobility level if your baron died or something, and getting a replacement? Or would you just rank up by name alone, up until the monarchy?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 04:58:26 pm »

Yes, it should work like that. Just use 1,2,3 or 4, instead.
Edit: I stand corrected.

Quietust: So I just make a lua file called "GetMonarch.lua" (or anything else), add this line
Code: [Select]
:lua df.global.ui.fortress_rank = 5 and run it int dfhack with GetMonarch ? Nothing else needed in the script?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:12:09 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:02:39 am »

Would this also work for going to a higher nobility level if your baron died or something, and getting a replacement? Or would you just rank up by name alone, up until the monarchy?
No, those are completely separate - it'll just rank you up by name. It would've worked back in 0.28.181.40d, but not in 0.31 or later.