Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer Modding?  (Read 943 times)

christopherj

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
Aquifer Modding?
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:38:52 pm »

Hi Bay12 Users,
I'm new to Dwarf Fortress (sorta) and I wanted to get rid of aquifers from my world. What file(s) do I need to edit/modify?

Thanks!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer Modding?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:53:39 pm »

Go into your Dwarf Fortress folder, then Raw, then Objects. There you will find three files labeled:

inorganic_stone_layer
inorganic_stone_soil
inorganic_stone_mineral

Open these with notepad, one at a time, and delete every " [AQUIFER] " tag you find, without the quotes. It's easiest to find them using Ctrl+F and inputting AQ, then searching for that. Have fun!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:01:40 pm »

This method doesn't work for me with DF 0.31.10.  I get layers of "rock" and weird shape-shifting surface tiles.  Oh, and the site map when creating a new fortress shows me whole layers of silver and other stuff that obviously shouldn't work that way.

I get tired of finding neat sites in interesting locations only to find they have aquifers I have no interest in trying to pierce.  This method of removing the AQUIFER entry from the raws worked for me as recently as 31.06.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:03:59 pm »

It works for me.

You need to be sure to only delete the [AQUIFER] tag. That's all that is getting deleted. No files are getting deleted, nothing else, but that.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:43:37 pm »

It works for me.

You need to be sure to only delete the [AQUIFER] tag. That's all that is getting deleted. No files are getting deleted, nothing else, but that.
It works now.  New install in a new directory.  I must have somehow got some old raws mixed up in the new game.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:44:49 pm »

I heard duplicate raws could cause problems like that.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Lekegolo Khanid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:26:56 pm »

Thank you for this thread.