Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: RPGs with Appearance Changing?  (Read 2844 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Best DS (That Nintendo Handheld) RPGs?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 10:57:44 am »

So you want a western RPG for the DS? As in, a sandbox style RPG? I'm relatively sure there aren't any of those...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 11:03:23 am »

Yeah I know, turn based isnt really needed now, I could care less. I just wanted some Wrpg's be cause I've only play Jrpgs on my DSi. I might try Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Riff, I like chess.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 12:09:13 pm »

Yeah, the DS is mostly just JRPGS. Not really a bad thing, but it does mean there's a lot less variety than there could be. Still, most WRPGS take a massive amount of space due to their size. It might not be feasible on a handheld.

Note: If you get FF tactics A2, get a seeq hunter. They can reverse item effects. IE: remedy causes every status effect in the game on your enemy.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 02:52:33 pm »

Still, most WRPGS take a massive amount of space due to their size. It might not be feasible on a handheld.
Not really. You could easily fit Darklands, Ultima 6, 7 or Realms of Arkania on a DS. There used to be a time when you had to install these from diskettes, you know.

And they did port some Ultimas and Wizardries to the GBC and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance to the GBA. Nothing for the DS to my knowledge, though.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 03:34:43 pm »

The World Ends With You
This one, its more of an action rpg but it actually fits game well, fights are fun (though I always left other character for AI, its just impossible for me otherwise) and you have a lot of tools on your disposal so you can experiment a lot. Story isn't bad, well I guess it would be more of a personal preference since characters can be pretty annoying. If you managed to play through FF7 then you shouldn't have problem here, I almost didn't but because I hate most of jrpg's and their stupid grinding random fights mechanism, its a torture to kill that random enemy over and over ... and over. WEWY though doesn't have this problem (also Suikoden but its for PS anyway), there are no random encounters, you chose if you want to fight random enemies so no annoying random combat out of nowhere. Plus there are other good ways to level up your powers other than fighting (I really like concept of getting exp for not playing the game its very handy) and in lots of cases its preferred since your powers may evolve into something else depending how you levelled them.

Pathos

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 01:15:54 pm »

Are there no other good DS RPGs? Especially none with appearance changing?

EDIT: Changed the first post to meet my new demands. 8)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:21:49 pm by Pathos »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: RPGs with Appearance Changing?
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 01:42:06 pm »

Phantasy Star 0 might work.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 02:13:40 pm »

Are there no other good DS RPGs? Especially none with appearance changing?

EDIT: Changed the first post to meet my new demands. 8)

Apperance changing is kinda a wierd thing to ask for from a DS rpg. I can't think of any that where any good and had apperance changing. :S

There definatly ARE some western RPGs though. The only ones I can remember are first person dungeon crawlers. There's one called Orcs and Elves. I'm sure there's another one like that but you get a full party, but I cant remember the name of it for the life of me.

Also janekk, you can get a suikoden for the DS, though I've only played the tutorial so I dunno how good it is.

Pathos

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 10:43:19 am »

I just want half decent RPGs.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 12:04:59 pm »

Most of the best RPGs on the DS are tactical JRPGs. Front mission, Shin Megami Tensei, FF tactics, valkyrie profile, etc. If you don't like anime-style stuff then it's going to be slim pickins.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 12:11:12 pm »

The new DragonQuest has what your looking for.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT
Pages: 1 [2]