Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prioritizing Jobs?  (Read 753 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prioritizing Jobs?
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:13:37 pm »

Is there a way to prioritize jobs?  For instance, I'd like my carpenter to farm, but ONLY when there are no carpentry jobs available, without having to switch his jobs off and on in Dwarf Therapist.

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
Re: Prioritizing Jobs?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:54:22 pm »

Wouldn't that be nice. Then everyone could have all hauling turned on safely, like they do by default. A menu to rank a Dwarf's active labors by priority.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:57:11 pm »

Hell, forget the menu, a default list would do for most of us. I mean, I think most of us have the same priorities as far as jobs go, no need to make everyone go through a menu to put in pretty much the same thing.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:50:01 pm »

It's even better when miners leave one square in your planned farm, and then go on to start farm 2.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 04:20:38 pm »

Or they go carving your bedrooms while leaving your farm like swiss cheese.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:18:07 pm »

Or they go carving your bedrooms while leaving your farm like swiss cheese.

I rage at this, the only way round it is to painfully designate your fort a layer at a time and wait for them to dig it out
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:31:20 pm »

It's even better when miners leave one square in your planned farm, and then go on to start farm 2.

That is not what OP meant.

In "The selltlers" 1 or 2, you could even specify, what items should be hauled first. As it stands, I work around it by having three disjunct sets of haulers for stone and food and the rest respectively and all important manufacturing dwarves are either on the task alone or at most in the 'other' hauling category, while miners are also stonehaulers.

So, yeah. It is pretty complicated to get it to run smoothly without having rotting food in the trade depot or the carpenters rather hauling stone than making more bins and barrels so the food and block production does not become... well blocked.

I would vote for having a system to make that list of priorities individual for every dwarf (in the v-p-l Menu) AND having a config file, where one could adjust a default list to his own tastes, that can be applied either automatically to migrants and maturing children or manually with the press of a button in said menu.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:56:20 pm »

You might be able to set something up with pressure plates and levers, and multiple doors. Otherwise I have no clue.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:18:20 am »

As it stands, I work around it by having three disjunct sets of haulers for stone and food and the rest respectively and all important manufacturing dwarves are either on the task alone or at most in the 'other' hauling category, while miners are also stonehaulers.

So, yeah. It is pretty complicated to get it to run smoothly without having rotting food in the trade depot or the carpenters rather hauling stone than making more bins and barrels so the food and block production does not become... well blocked.

I have everyone set to haul food, because, well, that's important. New immigrants with no skills become gofers: all hauling, masonry, and smoothing. Dwarves with good skillsets only haul that which is appropriate to their profession... and food, because, well, that's important. Nobles who actually need to do stuff (like the manager) and my master mason (who is also the architect) have all hauling turned off (except food, because etc etc). My miners do not have stone hauling on, because that just takes them off mining. My gofers can haul the stones. It's the carpenters who haul wood, not the woodcutter, for the same reason. On the other hand, my woodcutter doubles as an herbalist, so he/she's always out there harvesting something or other.

Everyone keeps cleaning turned on, because a) it doesn't do much of anything and b) I hear that Dwarves will only clean themselves if it's on.