Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find a spot to plant inside.  (Read 813 times)

butha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't find a spot to plant inside.
« on: July 14, 2010, 08:56:14 pm »

All of the tutorials just dig anywhere and find a suitable place to set up farm plots.  Every fortress I try the inside of the caves I make can't have farm plots due to "no soil."

What am I doing wrong? I just want to plant some plump helmets :/

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a spot to plant inside.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:03:35 pm »

In the newer versions, you need to muddy a spot before you can grow underground plants on it.  Find a way of getting water over an area and when that area dries, it will be muddy.  You could use pumps or dig into a large enough murky pool... or if you dig deep enough to hit the cavern layers, they come pre-muddied.

butha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:04:49 pm »

I don't know how to irrigate or pump yet.  Should I just dig down until I get a pre-muddied area?

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:37:05 pm »

Check the irrigation entry in the wiki.  It's got some really good stuff:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Irrigation

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »

easiest way it to go down 1 level on a map that has ponds above ground. Then proceed to dig a space equal to roughly 5x the size of the pond leaveing 1 square between it and said pond. then build a channel on that one space and let the water flood the room and eventually evaporate leaving u a nice muddy floor to grow on.

Note - be sure to put either a floodgate or wall on the whole to the pond after it has evaporated cause it will refill with water during alot of rain