Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding the perfect embark spot?  (Read 699 times)

RadGH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding the perfect embark spot?
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:20:47 am »

I've played alot of 40d, but I have not once found any Adamantite, magma (except when starting at a magma pool), demon portal..things, caverns, or the underground seas. Also, I have only been "sieged" once, and that was by elves riding unicorns who just annihilated my fortress. But I think that was because I sold them some wooden items and I hear they don't like that.

Are these features in 40d? I've played the newest version a bit but every time I read the forums I see something about "oh lol, thats broken!". Like marksdwarfs, I understand those are broken... and thats all I've ever used in my military.

So I decide to ask the community, you guys know everything. Heres some questions:

What features does the new version bring to the table?
What does the new version lack, or is broken, that 40d had?
What does it take to provoke a siege?
Do Adamantite ores, magma pools/rivers/lakes, demon portals, underground caverns/caves etc. spawn in
How do you go about picking a good embark location? Is it too much to ask for all of these features on an 8x8 tile? I suspect you need some other program to do this, so what would that be?
Are there any mods you should get to enhance gameplay that aren't out of the ordinary or seem incomplete? Basically mods that enhance the current gameplay, but don't feel like cheating.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the perfect embark spot?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:03:35 am »

lol spoilers

depending on your worldgen stuff,even on a 2xw embark square there is 1 adamantite vain. just dig down untill theres nowhere else
to go
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:48:02 am »

Frankly, 8x8 is, in my experience, unplayable.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:09:09 am »

3x3 beginns to lag heavily after 80 or so dwarfs (or 5 years in) and my PC is 2 month old.

You REALLY want to reconsider the size of your fortress.