Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I just struck adamantine...  (Read 1011 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
So I just struck adamantine...
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:18:26 am »

And my fortress is only 1 1/2 years old with no permanent military or specially designed traps whatsoever. The wiki says that hell will arrive, but I'm not really sure how it actually happens.
Do the demons creep in from the cave I dug out?
Or do they start spawning from the sides of the map?
When will they come?
How well would an unarmored 10 man squad of novice-adept trained axe/speardwarves fare off against a demon?
Would like some wisdom from the community please on whether I should go to last save or take the chance and continue.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: So I just struck adamantine...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:22:54 am »

Did you actually dig through the blue stuff? Also, spoilers.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:24:54 am »

I struck it, but didn't mine any out yet.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:27:07 am »

There's a chance you won't have any demons to mess with, but if you do you get an announcement.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:14 am »

I was under the impression that only one tube actually held an entrance to HFS, but if you happened to dig through that tube, then HFS would strike.  Save first, but its fairly safe to dig through if you're smart.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:29:26 am »

Then you're safe. When you get a little pop-up with a message... well let's just say you'll know it when you see it, that's when you should worry. No, "We have struck adamantine! Praise the miners!" is not the message to which I refer.

Damn double ninja'd.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »

If you don't know yet, you have nothing to worry about.
And when you find out, it will already be too late.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53:57 pm »

Wouldn't it be hilarious if you dug straight down into the HFS, so they had a staircase right into your base?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:01:58 pm »

Wouldn't it be hilarious if you dug straight down into the HFS, so they had a staircase right into your base?

Been there ....

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 05:38:28 pm »

would it still be ok if I sealed up the hell fortress with a wall assuming I dug too deep?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 05:40:40 pm »

would it still be ok if I sealed up the hell fortress with a wall assuming I dug too deep?
If you don't mind a massive, permanent loss of FPS due to the inhabitants trying to path out every moment for the entire rest of history.  That alone makes breaching hell a game-over condition for me.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 05:49:29 pm »

I second sphalerite's post.  It's supposed to be a game over condition, the game refers to first finding it as end1 and seeing it to end2.  Sure it's possible to kill the entire demon population (And you should try) but 10 unarmored recruits had me laughing :P
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.