Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: incredibly strong Bluefin tuna?  (Read 491 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
incredibly strong Bluefin tuna?
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:57:36 pm »

So just messed around a bit in the arena mode and found something interesting.
I decided to pit a team of dwarves + sharks vs a team of elves + ordinary fish in a direct head on combat IN WATER.
The bad news is that the dwarves lost...
But the good news is that there are no more elves either.
All that was left were two bluefin tuna who were swimming around the bloody corpses of both their allies and enemies.
One of the tuna had a ripped off fin, while the other had his left floating rib ripped out of his body and both his heart and pancreas heavily wounded (cyan color, forgot what it meant).
So wishing to end their misery, I placed 3 more dwarves with master swimming against them.
None of the dwarves lived -_-.
I placed a herd of cows to see how they would fare.
The tuna did not sustain any injuries.
I placed 2 man/dwarf/elf/fish eating sharks against the two little fishies. one of the tuna got a broken spine, but the other one with the ripped out left lung was tore the guts out of the two marine predators.
Very surprised by now, I pitted a pair of crocodiles in hopes of dispatching this single warrior fish. The results left me wondering about the definition of prey and predator (aka the tuna still lived).
Only when I sent a crowd of whales at them did they finally die.

So are tuna especially strong fighters?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: incredibly strong Bluefin tuna?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:14:51 am »

Is it possible that the two tuna, after surviving the massacre, just became so powerfully strong due to exp. that they could take on dwarves, which fueled their exp to take on sharks, etc.?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:15:33 am »

Which is, mind you, spectacular.
Here's hoping for brand new carp!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 06:05:18 am »

Considering their max size of 600000, I'm not surprised they won. A dwarf's max size is 60000 and; their speed in the water is not impressive, even when they are skilled swimmers!

A bluefin's natural swimming speed is 500 in the water, that's about (more or less) 1500+. You pretty insured the dwarf's deaths when you placed a bluefin tuna in a substantial amount of water.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 07:16:36 am »

Dude, have you seen tuna? They're massive predators that swim faster than most boats. The only reason we can consider them food is because we have a technological advantage.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:10:26 am »

Well, the bluefins grow up to 600 kg, horse size.
[BODY_SIZE:5:0:600000]
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:12:05 am »

Yes. Note that their mass is a full ten times a dwarf's mass, and you'll probably understand why your dwarves turned into chum.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14:57 am »

hmm... never knew that.
So that's why 2 heavily wounded tunas managed to slaughter a family of vicious sharks.