Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobody likes Iden Bungekatis :(  (Read 770 times)

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobody likes Iden Bungekatis :(
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:04:30 pm »

This poor migrant jewelcrafter liked to hang around the jewelcrafter's workshop, for no particular reason.  At least, none that I could discern.  Unfortunately for his health, he liked it TOO much and died from dehydration.  Poor lonely dorf.

A bit of a shock in my budding DF career, but whatever.  I can't help dorfs that won't help themselves!  After some wiki'ing, I took the steps to get him buried.

- Make a Stone Coffin
- 'Build' it in a nice new shiny graveyard (i'll name it Iden Meadows :3)
- Enable the coffin for dorf burial
- Make sure there's at least one dorf around that can haul corpses

Buuuuuuut nothing's happening.  The dwarves just really don't care enough about him, even in death.  Or maybe they just don't like handling corpses.  I created a graveyard plot too, and they won't have anything to do with the corpse.  All of his posessions just sit there with his corpse, yet no dwarves want to shift them around either.

Worst of all, miasma started flowing out of the room, fixed by an emergency door.  A dwarf was quick setting that up.  Why won't they honour poor Iden's memory, even if they have to fake it?
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody likes Iden Bungekatis :(
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »

Your body hauler might have something else in his task list. And i've also had a few dwarves starve/refuse to get a drink and die working in this version.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:14:00 pm »

Make sure his corpse/belongings are unforbidden, I make that mistake a lot, much to the miasma god's pleasure.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:16:32 pm »

They're unforbidden and there are plenty of body-hauling idle dwarves :<
I thought it might be some sort of access problem, but everything's clear and available.  I dun get it.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:40:26 pm »

Undead monkies came and swarmed my fort, beaten off by caravan guards but not before killing two dwarves.  They're not being moved, either :\

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:25:19 pm »

Isn't there a standing order about hauling bodies and feeding and watering dwarves?

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:29:50 pm »

Are the dwarves set to hall refuse and refuse from outside in the order menu? other than that, i can't think of anything, since they're unforbidden.

edit : and that they're set to gather bodies, there's a standing order for that as well.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 03:16:01 pm »

I believe I know what happened.

Workshops have certain impassable tiles.  You probably placed the workshop such that once it was built, it blocked the exit from the workshop.  So your jeweler went and built the workshop, then couldn't get out, and now, nobody can get in.

Destroy the workshop, or dig a new entrance into it.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 03:25:43 pm »

Try removing the grave yard, and just having the caskets set for dwarf burying. Also, make sure the dwarfs didn't put pets in the caskets.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 03:30:52 pm »

I believe I know what happened.

Workshops have certain impassable tiles.  You probably placed the workshop such that once it was built, it blocked the exit from the workshop.  So your jeweler went and built the workshop, then couldn't get out, and now, nobody can get in.

Destroy the workshop, or dig a new entrance into it.

This is what happened. The jeweler's workshop in particular is notorious for blocking exits because it's impassable on one side.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 04:50:40 pm »

Wow, thanks so much!  I would have never figured that out :X.  I'm glad I made this thread, and glad that potentially frustrated people young and old will benefit from the wisdom dispensed herein :D