Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well Problems  (Read 600 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Well Problems
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:22:15 pm »

oookay, oddness at the well.

For some reason, my dwarves aren't drinking from it and/or, it'd not getting water... The tile below it has 7/7 water, is linked to a brook, no overflow, has a staircase right next to it incase some poor fool falls down it. Now, I'm not SURE about this, but aren't wells that are getting water supposed to turn blue? If not then it's probably getting water. Either way, anybody got any suggestions?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:45:09 pm »

Hit q and put the cursor on the well.  Does it say "active"?  Then it's getting water.  Does it instead say "dry"?  Then it's not.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:24:37 pm »

Did you designate it as a water source?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:38:08 pm »

You don't need to designate wells as a water source.  You do need to make sure it's accessible by your dwarves, and if it's outside you need to make sure the ambient temperature isn't below freezing.  Also, only one dwarf can drink from a well at a time, and they take surprisingly long to do so.  If a lot of your dwarves are drinking water, you may need to make multiple wells.  Better yet, brew some booze so your dwarves don't need to drink water in the first place.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DonSlice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 03:23:28 pm »

I've recently run into this problem.

Does the water source have to be -1z from the well, or does it not matter how far below it is?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 03:39:40 pm »

Wells should work even if the water is several levels down, so long as their is a clear vertical path from the well to the water, although it will take longer for the dwarf to use the well if the water is further down.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:23:34 pm »

Also, only one dwarf can drink from a well at a time, and they take surprisingly long to do so.

Not true.

Dwarves drink water from wells instantaneously, and multiple dwarves can drink from the well if the bucket has water [10], for example. It's the lowering and raising the bucket that only one dwarf can do. And that takes a bit of time.

You can minimize the time turning the crank by putting it directly on top of the water, and by designating the surrounding area as a water zone. Dwarves will go to the water zone to drink, and will move mid-drink to get water from the well if it's available.

I've run whole forts with only one well by doing this. And it's exceedingly efficient, as I don't have to deal with dwarves and their marathon chugging sessions. They go to the well, they instantaneously drink, and then they're back to work.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 06:31:22 pm »

Really?  Is this a change since 40d, or has it always been this way?  I've never tried to run a fortress without booze, so I've never really tested the bottleneck of wells.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 06:38:19 pm »

All the one well fortress I've run have been in 40d. I've played a little in 31.xx, and I haven't seen any indication that it's any different.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:59:12 pm »

But what spiritual entity takes possession of a dwarf, driving him mad until he takes a drink of nasty, cool, carp-filled water?

Not a holy one, that's for sure.

*sips rum*

A real drink is warm like the blood for the blood god.

Obviously the real problem here is that the tile isn't filled with 7/7 dwarven wine.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

pjwaring

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:08 am »

You don't need to designate wells as a water source.  You do need to make sure it's accessible by your dwarves, and if it's outside you need to make sure the ambient temperature isn't below freezing.  Also, only one dwarf can drink from a well at a time, and they take surprisingly long to do so.  If a lot of your dwarves are drinking water, you may need to make multiple wells.  Better yet, brew some booze so your dwarves don't need to drink water in the first place.

Unless you have zone-only drinking set on your orders.