Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: activate and deactivate burrows  (Read 3970 times)

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
activate and deactivate burrows
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:17:34 pm »

sometimes i like to assign all my migrants to a "scrubs" burrow, while the elite and original 7 build the fortress of tomorrow.  however after sometime there is usually a metric shit ton of stone to carry out and quantum stockpile. during these times i would like to deactivate the burrow and have the scrubs pitch in.  however, im forced to delete the burrow, or unassign all its members. then recreate it later. its a pain, and i think all stockpiles, workshops, and burrows should have an active flag that can easily be checked off.  it would be great for stockpiles since i can make my kitchen overflow buffer stockpile inactive, then all the food that was there would go to down to my elite 7's rooms (i wouldnt have to disable food, and reenble the prepared meals setting for that to happen)

im sure there are a ton of other use cases in which people would find this massively convinient, but those are mine.

(ohh, bucket brigade is another one)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: activate and deactivate burrows
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:52:03 pm »

Make your starting 7 a militia. You can assign militia to burrows independently of the "civilians". And they don't have to be "activated" to follow their burrow settings.

Create a scrubs burrow for your civilian population. Create an alert level for it (ie, "Scrub Only"). Assign the scrub burrow to it, and put the civilians on it. DO NOT ASSIGN your magnificent starting 7 dwarven militia to it.

Create your dream fortress burrow. Assign the magnificent 7's militia to it. You can create an alert level just for it if you like (ie, "Dream Fort"), in which case, you can assign the dream fortress burrow to it, and assign the militia to it as well.

When you want to have the scrubs haul out stone and trash, swap the civilan alert level to either inactive/none, or just enable the "Dream Fort" burrow on the civilians current alert level. Either way works.

You can use the "militia assigned seperate burrows from civvy" trick as much as you need.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 03:18:33 pm »

sweet ill give this i try. havent messed too much with military as ive turned off invasions.  think i will do this the other way around since i still want my starting 7 to keep working though.  ill try giving the scrubs civis of robes and sandals. no socks or hats. maybe they can do some menial tasks like carving stone blocks, and butchering.  cool im really psyched for this, think i will restart my fort with this in mind.  of course they will only eat cat tallow biscuits and sewer brew.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:33:22 pm »

If you make a barracks for the militia, they'll start ignoring jobs in favor of training.  But if you never make a barracks, they won't have any where to train, and they'll just work like they always do.  So you don't have to worry about the seven stopping work.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:10:55 pm »

aepurniet, you can only have 10 dwarves in a squad. If you get the massive swarms of immigrants that I do, you'll be creating many squads of scrubs. On the other hand, if you want your dwarves to dress in a particular way, that is the only way to do it.

I never make a barracks, as I depend on architecture to defend my dwarves in 31.x. So I never have issues of them being stuck in the barracks training. But it is something to keep in mind if you are going to be putting all your dwarves into military squads. Any barracks around will mean many will spend all their time training, instead of doing regular civilian labors.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 06:01:14 pm »

aepurniet, you can only have 10 dwarves in a squad. If you get the massive swarms of immigrants that I do, you'll be creating many squads of scrubs. On the other hand, if you want your dwarves to dress in a particular way, that is the only way to do it.

i set my POP_MAX to 1, but i still get some straglers coming in.  no worries, they go to the scrub burrow.

Create a scrubs burrow for your civilian population. Create an alert level for it (ie, "Scrub Only"). Assign the scrub burrow to it, and put the civilians on it. DO NOT ASSIGN your magnificent starting 7 dwarven militia to it.

so i did this, new alert level, new squad, new burrow.  it looks well configured, that alert states that there is one squad and one burrow assigned.  the schedule for my new alert level is blank, but however i would hope that the squad still hangs out in the scrubby burrow.  at first they did.  i issued a mass dumping job, and they (the scrubs) even chipped into the work outside the scrub burrow, but however they never went back.  they are hanging out at the wagon now, bothering all the originals.

did i miss something?

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 06:14:15 pm »

k, seems i need to set the schedule to defend for them to move, which is great.  got that down.  but now they are all unhappy, because they are thirsty.  will they go get their own food and drink outside the burrow?  or should i make some stockpiles in there for them?

i dont have an airlock system in place yet so deactivating that alert level would just cause them to co mingle.