Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Training Thread  (Read 719 times)

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another Training Thread
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:57:18 am »

I know I know...please, hold your stones...for a while...
I'm here to make some appointments and questions about the training and all efforts to make it work.

Last fort I started with a SwordsmanSwordsdwarf, He had Dodge, Swordsdwarf, Armor and Shield User, all balanced...
Ok, fine...I named Lancelot the Militia Commander and Sheriff, made a cool room for him with weapon racks, armor stands, cabinets and all that sort of things... After that I assigned in the Weapon Rack to 'T' for train, he begin to do Individual Drills...I was quite happy with that and I left him alone...after a long period I come back to see how he was doing... Amazingly he was Legendary Swordsdwarf, High Master Fighter, and High Master Dodger...but, now the sad part... He didn't raise his Shield nor the Armor Skill...And he keeps doing individual drills for all the eternity...

Another strange thing is...If I take him to kill a creature(Cougar in this case) he goes well, run after it and kills it in no time... But if I set him to kill multiple creatures(Macaques, I hate those bitchs :P) he stays in the middle of the town wandering witch macaque he must attack first(This! No no! this! No...THAT! Nah...THAT, no....). Is this a pathfinding bug?

tl;dr: How do I train the other skills(armor, shield, wrestler, kicker, biter and striker).

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Training Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:16:45 am »

If he has a weapon, he'll train that weapon skill.

If he doesn't, but he has a shield, he'll train shield.

If he doesn't have either, he'll train wrestling and striking.

He'll only train armor user when being attacked.  That means sparring, real fights, or some upright spikes.

Dunno about the multiple kill orders.  Haven't had good luck with kill orders myself.  Tend to use station instead.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:47 am »

How do I spare?
Isn't combat training bugged? I tested it with a squad of 10 mens and they all keep Waiting for combat training while the leader gets Organizing *SKILL* Training

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:40:04 am »

Try an Archery Target instead of a Weapon Rack/Armor Stand.

That usually gets them to spar. But be careful with those sharp weapons, one of my dwarves got seriously hurt during a sparring match and has "ability to stand lost" ever since.

Rube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:42:27 am »

How do I spare?
Isn't combat training bugged? I tested it with a squad of 10 mens and they all keep Waiting for combat training while the leader gets Organizing *SKILL* Training

Don't schedule the squad to train, just leave them inactive. They will do individual combat practice on their own.

I believe they still need a barracks defined and set to train within, and possibly Dwarves with low willpower won't train (because you aren't forcing them to through a schedule).