Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple DF questions  (Read 431 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Multiple DF questions
« on: July 13, 2010, 03:32:05 pm »

So I've played one real fortress game now (though I quit after new version came in after 3 years or something) and I started new game. I faced problem with trade depot because my embarking area is cliffy, merchants cant reach my depot. Can I make bridge/road to it? If its possible how difficult it is?

I had a lot of dwarves die from thirst in my last game, why they dont stop working and go to have drink? It wasn't just miners in lower levels but random fish dissectors/gem cutters too. How can I give then water flasks to carry with them?

One died on top of wall while building it, I think he got stuck somehow. no one cared to haul his body to coffin like they did for other victims of dehydration. should I build ramp or something if I want to build tall wall?

I didn't run into attacks/sieges in my last game at all even though I had like 60 dorfs and played multiple years. In case I'm not lucky this time, is there good guide for the newest version of the game which explains how military works.

Also I cant understand how to play adventure mode, I cant find "play adventure mode" button anywhere.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Suddo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple DF questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 04:20:14 pm »

You can build a road (though I don't think you can build over multipul z-levels) -
  • for a paved road or -
    • (capital O) for a dirt road. The main reason to build a road is to make sure trees don't grow in the way of the traders. If you have a very cliffy area (I assume a mountian) you will need to make ramps to your depot. Traders can't climb stairs, only ramps.

You can give military waterskins so they can have a drink without going to the stockpile but I have never run into the problem you are describing (sure in 40d they went to get a drink before they go thursty) I would think that you could do the same thing for your miners (this sounds interesting I may have to try it).

Adventure Mode is something you have to do instead of Dwarf Fortress. After you gen a world (or abandon a fort) when you go to play you can select dwarf fortress or Adventure Mode or Legends.

For any other questions you can always go to the wiki. Just look up Dwarf Fortress Wiki on google.

Sorry for any rambling or such.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Multiple DF questions
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:33:44 pm »

I had a lot of dwarves die from thirst in my last game, why they dont stop working and go to have drink? It wasn't just miners in lower levels but random fish dissectors/gem cutters too. How can I give then water flasks to carry with them?

One died on top of wall while building it, I think he got stuck somehow. no one cared to haul his body to coffin like they did for other victims of dehydration. should I build ramp or something if I want to build tall wall?
They were almost certainly stuck and unable to reach anything to drink.  Almost certainly while building walls and workshops you managed to wall some dwarves in place.  The three tiles on the right side of a jeweler's workshop are blocked and can't be walked through, and many people have accidentally walled a gem cutter in his workshop when building it.  As for walls, dwarves tend to build them in exactly the wrong order and either wall themselves in or get stuck on top with no way down.  You may want to build floors and ramps to act as access scaffolds while building constructions more than one level high.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.