Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bentgirder: a stepping stone for new players  (Read 7888 times)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Bentgirder: a stepping stone for new players
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 05:01:47 pm »

Thanks Zaerosz. I appreciate your contributions. The tutorial is coming along.

I tested the save with 31.10 and it works fine. But I still need to restart my game (again) so I can get more screenshots.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 07:28:34 pm »

I have a bunch of mods that I've made to allow me to concentrate on building, they would probably be useful to newbies.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 08:52:12 pm »

I actually thought about doing something like this a a few days ago but it seems I've been beaten by several weeks since I've been gone. xd

I'll try and add a basic outline to the doctor area since even though I've not had any experience in it since .03 I'm sure someone can build more after there's a basic foundation.

My hope is that one day there will be a scripted tutorial in-game, or even something built based on Dwarf Fortress as a stand-alone or as a flash program or something.  Something ENTIRELY scripted (completely contradictory to DF's nature) but to show off everything to newbies, taking a little under 15 minutes for the basics and 30 minutes for advanced stuff, with time acceleration and skipping to and from scenarios to show examples of how things work.  A man can dream...

So far, great job.

EDIT: Added some to "Meet Mörul the Doctor/Trader/Brewer", but it's rough and I may have rambled on a bit (a lot).  Let me know if I did anything wrong and I'll try to fix it if it doesn't meet standards.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:16:06 pm by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 10:43:38 pm »

I know this is an older thread and this is probably not as useful anymore, but I just put this up on the general discussion forum:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61330.0

Worldgen params for a world with a really nice, easy embark point.  Magma, water, no aquifer, trees, lots of minerals, friendly neighborhood, etc. 

"Bentgirder Chapter 2: Working The Furnaces of Lamenting at Earthenscarred"?

Hmm, that actually sounds kinda fun. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:48:25 pm by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 11:07:07 am »

EDIT: Added some to "Meet Mörul the Doctor/Trader/Brewer", but it's rough and I may have rambled on a bit (a lot).  Let me know if I did anything wrong and I'll try to fix it if it doesn't meet standards.

Thanks, Box. That looks very good.

I know this is an older thread and this is probably not as useful anymore, but I just put this up on the general discussion forum:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61330.0

Worldgen params for a world with a really nice, easy embark point.  Magma, water, no aquifer, trees, lots of minerals, friendly neighborhood, etc. 

The only thing Bentgirder is missing is flux stone. Before v31, flux was a luxury, and not something noobs needed to bother with. Now that iron sucks, flux is a lot more important. I haven't found any copper or tin either.

Also, everything freezes in the winter. That could be real bad if the booze supply runs out.

I'd really have to start over with a new location at this point. But there are few annoying flaws that I didn't spot at the beginning.

TicklemeHellmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 03:11:41 am »

I've been reading a bit of your tutorial and it looks like a fairly good intro for a new player such as myself. However, i've been having a lot of trouble getting the fortress/world file properly installed. Is the download meant to only include the one file? someone suggested moving the file to the save folder in the data folder but I still couldn't use the save. I'm not really sure what the hell i'm doing.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 07:41:56 am »

You need to unzip the file with an extraction program such as 7zip before you can use it.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 01:14:36 pm »

Extract the file to the same directory as Dwarf Fortress, and the Bentgirder save will be put in the right spot. Like Gnauga says, you need a utility that can handle .7z files.

TicklemeHellmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 04:14:07 am »

I've finally got it installed but it seems to have had an odd effect on my graphics pack. Whenever I open up the Bentgirder save my dwarfs are all little red and yellow blobs and the animals are all the letters of the"plain" version of the game rather than the sprites i've installed. Odder still is the fact that this problem isn't occuring whenever I open my other save ???. Why is this happening? something to do with my version of the game or the graphics pack*?

*I am using the Lazy Newb Pack which has the Phobeus graphics installed by default if that helps. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:17:43 am by TicklemeHellmo »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 04:48:38 am »

I've finally got it installed but it seems to have had an odd effect on my graphics pack. Whenever I open up the Bentgirder save my dwarfs are all little red and yellow blobs and the animals are all the letters of the"plain" version of the game rather than the sprites i've installed. Odder still is the fact that this problem isn't occuring whenever I open my other save ???. Why is this happening? something to do with my version of the game or the graphics pack*?

*I am using the Lazy Newb Pack which has the Phobeus graphics installed by default if that helps.

You neglected to run the "df_savegame_updater.bat", that'll update the graphics in your savegames to whichever graphics set you're using (amongst other things), so if you decide to switch to Ironhand or Mayday at some point, you'll have to run it again.

Note: Ironhand (as included in LNP 4.5 at least) mods the cooking reactions, so you can't automagically revert to the other tilesets.

TicklemeHellmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 07:00:12 am »

Thanks for that! I forgot about the save game updater.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2010, 02:46:17 pm »

I use Sinergistic's little edit to PTTGV5
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30780.0

It was very careful not to go doing things like making that one tile that's also part of raised bridges look like a tree but the particular thing that would useful for newcomers would be how the < > symbols are angled up or down.

-

I was picturing something more like in game tutorials. You could either dig out little spaces then abandon and reclaim or edit the raws to make no sleep/eat/drink dwarves to carve out rooms. Saving every so often then copying the save would let you have several snapshots to mess around with.

Then in each of them edit dwarf speed to 0 so they will haul really quick and get them to fill up some stockpiles with whatever is relevant to the tutorial. If you set up a bridge with a lever in the very first save you could just have the full list of crap sit in the wagon and then later atomsmash whatever wasn't for that tutorial.

With this sort of thing you could walk them through digging out some bedrooms and that sort of thing but they could also jump around to look at what you had to say about setting up a hospital without having had to first follow through the advice on pigtail growing or whatnot because you were "efficient" with your embark points.

Oh well, I guess if I have such a clear idea of how to do it I should just do this myself.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2010, 05:18:25 pm »

Lazy Newb Pack

What i use, very nice...
Pages: 1 2 [3]