Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Early Warning System?  (Read 1636 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Early Warning System?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:41 am »

I just use dwarves.

If you want to go the expendable route just make a burrow outside your main gate, and assign a dwarf you don't like to that burrow.

Otherwise I'll just use guards. 5-10 legendary dwarves with steel armor and weapons assigned to guard the main gate makes for an outstanding ambush detection system.

Roving squads of additional soldiers will then head to the area to help mop up.

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 08:32:07 am »

I'm kind of afraid giant crosses or a perimeter wall might ruin the scenery.  Yeah, I said it.  I will consider the hunting/cage traps though; strategically placed, they might give me a good warning.  Eventually my construct will consist of several towers in itself with crossbowdwarves in it.  Land mines sound good too, especially if I use nobles as bait...

Wouldn't on duty soldiers die of hunger and thirst if they are on duty too long, or will they simply desert for dessert?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 11:35:03 am »

I use what I call 'puppy forts'

Code: [Select]
w = wall
^ = weapon trap
d = chained puppy

. . w ^ w . .
. w w ^ w w .
. ^ ^ d ^ ^ .
. w w ^ w w .
. . w ^ w . .

The walls protect the puppy somewhat from getting killed long distance so it's more likely the group will take casualties and possibly just leave the map with all their junk. As you probably know, item counts can become outragious over the course of a decades long project, so it's great if you can eliminate some garbage without having to spend labor to dump it. I don't like messing with cage traps, especially when I'm focused on a big project.

For better ranged protection, you might even try enclosing it with doors, but I haven't tried it. I'm guessing that they would still path toward the puppy.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: 1 [2]