Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Find desired location" function  (Read 3046 times)

Phildo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Find desired location" function
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:15:51 pm »

So, I'm new to this- any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Anyway- on the "Choose Fortress Location" screen, you can hit [f] to select parameters for the game to find, ie: Presence of an aquifer, flux stone, temperature, etc...
So I was watching captain duck's tutorials on YouTube, and noticed that he had a lot more parameters to chose from than I do... but that's probably because I have a newer version... (?)

But what I'm wondering is if there is the ability to select the parameters, hit find, and then cycle through ALL THAT ARE FOUND fulfilling those parameters. For example, if I want a place with flux stone, and that is the only parameter I care about, I can search for that. It brings me to a location with flux stone, and that's it. If I don't like that specific location, (because Trees are scarce or something...) I'm stuck. I can hit escape to get a better look at it, and if I don't like it, I search again, and it searches through the whole thing, and brings me to the same location.

So in short- is there a way to cycle through all tiles that fulfill a certain parameter? Or am I stuck with either choosing the first one the algorithm comes up with or searching manually?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: "Find desired location" function
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 09:27:08 pm »

So in short- is there a way to cycle through all tiles that fulfill a certain parameter?

There is no way, other than tweaking the settings to get closer to what you want.  To be honest, in the new version the site finder is pretty useless.  The finder used to be needed for finding things like magma, underground water, and other stuff, but in the new version every site has everything, so about all the finder can make easier now is finding flux stone and aquifers, but really it is easier to just pan around the map and manually find a site which meets your requirements.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Phildo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 09:30:03 pm »

Interesting... wasn't aware that every site had everything... Thanks!

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 10:04:06 pm »

"Every site has everything" is an exaggeration. You can get a site without sand or flux-stone.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:56:32 pm »

So I was watching captain duck's tutorials on YouTube, and noticed that he had a lot more parameters to chose from than I do... but that's probably because I have a newer version... (?)
In previous versions if you picked a random embark zone you would likely end up with absolutely no underground features. To find caves, underground water, HFS, and similar you had to choose a site very carefully.

In the current version, there are (by default) several layers of caves under every embark tile, a magma sea... and beyond. Most of the features you see listed in previous versions are either gone (bottomless pit, underground river) or in every embark (magma, caves). There's also a new feature ("upright HFS") that isn't listed but IMO should be (mainly because I've never found one >.>).

But what I'm wondering is if there is the ability to select the parameters, hit find, and then cycle through ALL THAT ARE FOUND fulfilling those parameters.

Short answer: nope.

Longer answer: My understanding of this is that the site finder started out as an external tool in the manner of Dwarven Therapist at the moment. It was a bit of a hack, but an extraordinary improvement over what was there before (nothing). It's still a bit of a hack and with the removal of most of the features it looked for is no longer a major improvement over looking around. You're not the first (nor the last) person to wish for a way to cycle through eligible sites.

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:08:05 am »

You're not the first (nor the last) person to wish for a way to cycle through eligible sites.
Yes I've wanted this too. It seems like fairly low hanging fruit to implement. Of course Toady is very busy and all, I'm just saying :)