Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island  (Read 43247 times)

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2010, 04:36:35 am »

You race back upstairs to the party room. The distraught leatherworker screams with every footstep, but you have to think of the greater cost. If you break down those walls now, everybody dies. The last thing you hear as you leave is a gutsy bellow from the child as he runs into battle.
    The crowd of frightened dwarves hushes as you burst into the room. Monom is huddled in the corner with a stony expression held tight on her face. Fourguts paces helplessly around the levers. A faint scream carries through the tube and a dozen anxious eyes begin to tear up. You take a deep breath and announce that you have appointed yourself the fortress's new militia commander.
    "Did you just miss a strange mood?" Fourguts asks with an empty laugh. "You're no more experienced at fighting than I am flying!"
    You shake your head defiantly and remind him of the caverns and the bugbats. Your miners might have never touched a piece of armour or dodged anything more than cleaning duty, but you're strong, you know how to handle a pick and quite frankly you're all the fortress has right now. So what if the beast can return anew after being encased in stone? You are the legends of stone removal. Goblins might scurry through their towers and predators might roam the plains unchallenged - but every mountain is your home. On the surface you wall yourself off from goblins. But deep in the underground, demons wall themselves off from you.
    Before Fourguts can protest any further you call for the nine longest serving miners. They silently join your side, picks in hand. The crowd turns to face Fourguts. He snorts and paces off to the find the arsenal dwarf. It takes several hours of anxious waiting, but the equipment manifests are completed and you suddenly find yourself sliding on iron chain mail.
    Funny, how this treacle-time seems to pass so quickly when heated by the flames of upcoming battle. You pace behind your armoured miners, waiting for the last to arrive. All are reasonably protected. All hold their familiar picks and nothing else. All hear the slamming scuttling of the beast beyond, but all stand fast and sing rowdy war songs that none of them quite know the lyrics to. '... fight our mates, and spurn the elves'? Or wait, was it 'burn the elves'? 'Churn the elves'? You don't know.
    The last miner arrives. You arrange yourself in battle formation Delta Seventeen aka 'the clusterfuck'. A civilian miner nods proudly at each of you in turn, then crashes open the wall between you and the beast.
    You scream a battle cry and charge! The giant, crab-like beast scuttles through the gap. Pincers jab forward. Picks swing. You push yourself through the mass of bodies, pick raised high and-
    "I got it," a miner yawns. He withdraw his iron pick from the dead body and wipes the ichor off on a rag. Another miner untwists his copper pick and leans on it.
    "Aww, I didn't even get an attack in," another miner grumbles.
    "Hey at least you got to dodge the one blow," a third laughs from behind them. "Nice footwork by the way, swanboy."
    "Shut up."
    You blink slowly and stand back from the corpse. The underground is quiet. That was too easy.
    "That's because you're not done yet," Fourguts crackles down the tube. You glance upwards and lower your pick suspiciously. "There's an army of goblins waiting outside and it's too late for this island to recover."
    "There is a metric shit-tone of kittens popping out up here," Monom interrupts, her high voice struggling to carry from the party room. "Whatever you did, dear Armok undo it!"
    "What she means is that we're safe for the moment," Fourguts cuts back in irritably. "But there's nothing left for us here that we couldn't do twice as efficiently elsewhere. So go inactive for tonight. Get your squad a drink and some sleep. Tomorrow we're busting out of this blighted island if it kills us."

Turn to page 318.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2010, 04:39:40 am »

^ There should probably be a choice here, but that battle was just a tiny bit disappointing. So I played on. The exciting conclusion to Goblin Blight Island tomorrow!

LordNuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2010, 11:40:54 am »

To 318 it is then!
And aww, almost finished already? =(
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2010, 12:52:49 pm »

One more, Nameless!

I have to say, of the stories I've been a part of on this forum to date, even the ones I've played out and written, I am enjoying this one as much as the best of any of the others.  Way to go, woo, woot, woohoo, and wow.

I know this tale is not over yet, but I feel a drumming, as if all the feet of every kitten in the gameworld were stepping in time to beat out the cadence, 'danger danger death', over and again.  Something wicked this way comes, pride goeth before a fall, and it's always easiest just before you lose.  Lead on, and prove my doomspeak wrong!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2010, 01:15:21 pm »

Can't wait. It's a shame it had to end so soon; great work :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:38:23 pm by gumball135 »
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »

Yeah, this has been indecently entertaining, great story!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2010, 04:35:40 am »

Your fellow miners toss aside their armour for the arsenal dwarf to upgrade - because it clearly worked so poorly last time - but you are too hyped to relax. Instead you monotonously haul stone, walling off the caverns again as a precaution. All the while you can hear partying from the fortress above. Loud enough to drown out distant goblin taunts. Loud enough to drown out the dead, silent island. But not the memories of Foureyes' cheer or the whisper in your ear that tells you everything might not be okay.
    So you think. The goblins currently on the surface outnumber, out-arm, and out-mount your squad. You killed the forgotten beast, but they easily killed a titan too. You could lose in direct combat. They don't know that you need to win and escape, though. If the goblins still believe themselves the aggressors then they will take risks you can abuse. The trapped entrance was damaged by the titan, but if you 'accidentally' dug through the east side of the detour then the goblins will still need to run through half of the traps to enter your fortress. Station your miners for a surprise attack in a small room beyond that and you can take down their wounded before they have a chance to react.
    Unfortunately, you can't be sure their mounts will fall as easily as the goblins have in the past. To be safe, you should move the caged animals and re-link them with the levers in the party room. If everything goes to hell you can order them released and maybe the civilians will have a chance to escape while the goblins are distracted. It would be a nice change for you to die for someone else's greater good.
    Once you inform the dwarves of your battle plan, the work begins. Civilian miners scratch their way though stone near the fort's entrance. Mechanics peruse old documents and adjust wires. Fourguts carefully redesignates burrows. An enthusiastic hauler sweats heavily as he more or less fails to inch the wildlife cage across the ground. You slowly pull on your iron low boots.
    "You know this would be a little more fucking dramatic if anyone cared to walk faster than a baby fresh out of a lion's mouth," Monom grumbles when you trudge off to sleep.

You can't see the morning sun rise. But you can feel the warmth through the stone. Andesite. Maybe a metre thick, between you and the thousands of goblins living around the island outside. Maybe your own battle will never end, played out with agonising sloth as a tribute to one more generation of goblins who you caused to suffer. And still will, once the civilian miner gets here. Maybe Fourguts was right. About everything. You didn't really kill the forgotten beast. You ARE the forgotten beast.
    You catch your breath as everything suddenly falls into place. You always wondered who the 'power' had taken control of next. But the madness never really did leave you. How many goblins were massacred without even a chance to talk? How many dwarves did you leave vulnerable, then left for dead, from your stupid, risky actions? All the beasts and titans weren't anything more than lonely brutes and you killed them because they didn't understand why these little furry men with sticks were crashing down into their home. The gems deep underground weren't supposed to be a lure for the goblins. They were a lure for you.
    And now here you are, strapping on your pick to drown the land in blood. Whose 'choice' was that, you wonder. Is that all your master wanted, death?! ... Or is it finally you, ready to meet the end you don't deserve, while the goblins go on suffering at someone else's hands. Maybe Fourguts will bury you in Vabok's tomb. Maybe he'll leave your corpse to rot and scorn as your friends suffer. Finally, it won't make a difference to you. Ha. That cat was right. You wonder what he thought in his final moments, falling. Maybe: losing isn't fun. Losing is a blessing.
    Oh yes. Now you remember the words to that song:

Strike the elf or strike the earth!
our proud seven once remarked.
Now we struck out and we gave birth
to the undead where we've embarked

They say there's no way to win!
from the wounds we can't suture.
So take your axe outside to sin
and a pick into our future.

I think I see us sleeping?
in misty, forgotten dells.
No! Today we shall be reaping
to fight our fates - and earn our hells.

The civilians are taking too long. You say one last goodbye to your fortress and reach for you pick. You-
    "The cuuuuuunts are here!" Monom's voice echoes from the main fort. You lower your pick and press an ear to the wall. Oh, this ought to be good. Maybe the scratches will distract a single bird. Maybe the pet trolls will be too sated and explode. Maybe the screams will ... will ...
    Wait, where are the screams? You wait a moment longer, frowning, but still don't hear anything. With a motion for your squad to stay put, you cautiously walk back around to the main entrance. Monom is standing on a chair and looking through the peephole. She pouts and steps down, offering you the view.
    Outside you can see three elf merchants on the outskirts of your garden wall. They're chatting loudly and looking around for your depot in confusion. Aside from their warthogs, you notice no other creatures. You slowly pan your view in disbelief. There are no goblins or their mounts anywhere. Only a few intact dead merchant piles and abandoned card games remain as evidence to their sudden break of ranks and flight. You turn back to the elves and notice the sheer speed that bullshit streams from their mouths.
    "I apologise that I doubted you," Fourguts says from behind you. You listen intently, but can't take your eyes from the scene outside. "Soon after the goblins heard of your miners executing the forgotten beast, every last one gave up their siege and fled. It also seems I miscalculated the island's recovery; time is beginning to flow smoothly once more and I have heard reports there are even new trees growing since we left the gardens. If you are prepared to continue serving as commander, we may well be able to prosper here."
    "I want my epic battle, damn it!" Monom scowls, stomping off to her bedroom.
    But NO, apparently you all live happily ever after!

The End

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2010, 05:56:12 am »

Damn funny  :D

Also, page 1!!

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2010, 06:49:29 am »

Awesome story, one of the best I've ever read.  Well done and thanks!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2010, 06:59:02 am »

Mmmm.  What a great way to end it.  Danger danger death, yes.  And still, we all win.  Yay for your creative kindness, your art of the story, and the gleam you've brought to my eyes as I read, the edge to my laughter as I reacted to your jokes.

Please, sir, may we have some more?

After you've recovered from writing your adventure, of course.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2010, 09:20:44 am »

Well done, Nameless. But for the sake of it, can you get us to page 822? I'm aware of this book having at least a thousand pages. You know what I mean.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2010, 10:27:12 am »

Love it. Good to read, funny and sad at times, and a damn good story.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2010, 12:31:37 pm »

Awesome
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2010, 04:16:52 am »

What? Hapilly ever after? THATS NOT AN ENDING!!!! GO KILL THE HYDRA?! HAVE A TANTRUM SPIRAL!! CREATE ZOMBIES!!! DO SOMETHING FUN!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]