Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too many aquifiers?  (Read 773 times)

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too many aquifiers?
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:59:12 pm »

Personally, i think aquifiers are annoying. Sometimes it's fun to make an aquifier fortress, but for me, this is definitly the exception.

So way too many great fortress sites are ruined by having an aquifier!

Is this wanted? A bug? Are my worlds the exception?

Anyway, can i reduce the areas with aquifiers in worldgen? It's really pissing me off right now, because it takes way to long to find a good site  :(

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many aquifiers?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:10:56 pm »

Have fewer oceans and rivers, I'd say. Those sources of water, in my experience, correlate with aquifers relatively frequently.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 03:13:33 pm »

You can completely remove aquifers from the game by going in to the stone_layer and stone_soil raw files and removing all instances of [AQUIFER].  If you want to be able to revert the changes replace '[AQUIFER]' with 'aquifer' (no quotes).  you can either do this to your main raw files so that all generated worlds are aquifer free, or you can go in to the save specific raws for an already generated world if you found a site you like.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 03:23:10 pm »

You can completely remove aquifers from the game by going in to the stone_layer and stone_soil raw files and removing all instances of [AQUIFER].  If you want to be able to revert the changes replace '[AQUIFER]' with 'aquifer' (no quotes).  you can either do this to your main raw files so that all generated worlds are aquifer free, or you can go in to the save specific raws for an already generated world if you found a site you like.

sweet, if i don't find a suitable location in the next few minutes i'll definitly do that.
No bugs in worldgen will occur? Or do i do this after worldgen? Or won't it matter anyways :D

Mush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 03:37:41 pm »

Nope, no bugs. Make sure you go to the right folder:

Pre-World Gen: objects/raw
Post-World Gen: data/save/region#/raw

You could try genning regions instead of the (default) islands. Islands have insane amounts of aquifiers.