Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military activation makes dwarves drop everything. [ETA] Death by mitten?  (Read 544 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had it up to here with the military/uniform system.  Not upgrading to .09 until the pet/caravan thing is fixed.

Woodcutters keep dropping their axes when I activate their squad and I am about to throw the keyboard through the monitor.

One of my original seven went out to deal with a werewolf right on my doorstep, while the other newly-mooded now legendary mechanic/axedwarf/woodcutter slept and an immigrant sat around picking his nose or something.  He died horribly, and then the other two bothered to show up.  After watching them Benny-Hill it across the screen for a while, I realized that the werewolf was not dying.  The two dorfs dropped their axes and are trying to kill it with their bare hands, and with the speed at which werewolves regenerate, well...

Can't get the idiots to keep their armor on when deactivated, either.  Tried every possible permutation, including--big mistake--replace clothing.  Then I couldn't get them to put their pants back on...  they trooped out above ground, completely starkers (except for the axes they picked up as soon as they were deactivated).  Tried everything; disbanded the squad and put them back on civilian duty and deactivated every single labor, and they just stood around stark naked.

The last bunch I had kept their axes on hand when I activated them.  What's the trick?  Making their uniform include "weapon of choice" instead of "battle axes"?  "No uniform"?

ETA Unpaused the game and let nature run its course.  Not only did my unarmed dorfs fail to do more than bruise the werewolf, the werewolf wasn't hurting them.  Checked the combat logs.

The Werewolf strikes The Wrestler in the right lower leg with his ({pig tail fiber left glove}), but the attack glances away!

Yes.  The wolfie grabbed a glove off the dead dorf and was busily trying to beat the other two to death with it, and maybe a pair of pig tail pants.  (Both were in its inventory.)

Eventually it got tired and wandered off the map.  With the glove.

Oh well.  At least it wasn't GCSS.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:12:57 am by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Be wary of making steel armour. Might be dangerous.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I've had a small bit of luck getting my woodsmen/soldiers to hold onto their axes. There's no arsenal dwarf position so I never need to assign one, therefore after their first activation they seem to hold onto the ax they pick up after being deactivated. I assigned them each a specific weapon. One of them, although not an axeman, still refuses to drop the crossbow and our finest armors she chose when she was first enlisted, despite being assigned a axe. She spends her time beating things to death and is still quite successful, so no complaints.

basically, you want them to be activated and stationed away from the creature they're supposed to kill before you give the order to attack it, that way they have the chance to situate themselves properly. assign the axemen specific weapons and pray. The chances of anyone actually getting it right are extremely low, but eventually someone will, and their stubbornness should keep them from trying to do anything else.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.