Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capital Letters  (Read 1139 times)

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capital Letters
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:56:10 pm »

How do I select menu options with Capital letters?  I've tried everything from  Shit+[key] to Caps-lock+[key]

Is this a bug? A glitch? My computer? Or am I just an idiot?

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Letters
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:13:50 pm »

I have no problems selecting capital letter hotkeys on mine.  I simply use Shift+key, so I'm assuming it's your key configuration.

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 09:18:38 pm »

I haven't changed the key configuration from default.  I also noticed I can't use "<" and ">" for going up and down the z-levels. I have to use the alternate "Shift-5" and "Ctrl-5" which, works perfectly.

It's just the capital letter selections I cannot use, it always acts like I'm selecting the lowercase option.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:33:40 pm »

For the > and <, try changing them in the key config.  Change them to whatever your "Shift+," does.  Not sure about the capital hotkeys though.

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:45:41 pm »

I fixed it, I just ran "optipng" first.

Weird glitch though, I still don't know if it was just my computer or the game itself.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 04:29:45 am »

It could be due to keybindings if you're using a non-qwerty keyboard. If not, I've no clue, and can only offer the explanation that 'it's an alpha, expect bugs'

Halykan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 07:06:09 am »

I haven't changed the key configuration from default.  I also noticed I can't use "<" and ">" for going up and down the z-levels. I have to use the alternate "Shift-5" and "Ctrl-5" which, works perfectly.

It's just the capital letter selections I cannot use, it always acts like I'm selecting the lowercase option.

Are you using a compact keyboard? I don't really see why that would matter, but I had some trouble with keybinds in 40d on my laptop keyboard - it reversed the capital/lowercase for the left half of the board. Of course, I spilled some Dew all over it too, so I always figured that was my fault.
If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you
clicky

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 07:32:09 am »

I was using a qwerty keyboard, and I'm using my Qosmio Toshiba laptop.

I half figured it was my laptop, there's really no way to tell since it fixed itself.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 07:48:28 am »

One important thing is to remember that the game will receive lower case commands if you use SHIFT+key while CAPS LOCK is on. On the one hand this is fairly obvious, on the other hand it's not really all that common. So when your commands are suddenly not working the way you expect them to, that's the first thing to check for.

Then again, the fact that you also tried pressing CAPS LOCK makes it likely that this issue was caused by something else. :o
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 11:45:16 am »

Are you using a European keybord? Because if you are, you have to use the ; and : (shift+, and shift+.) keys for changing levels.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 03:50:31 pm »

Nope, American.

I can't pinpoint what the problem was, or how it came to be.  But it's a nonissue now.

I'll try to recreate the problem and post a fix for it.  If you can bet if it happened to one guy, it probably happened to 10 more.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 10:03:43 am »

I'm having the same problem. However, shortly after starting DF I can use use shift to capitalise, but a little while after that stops working.

Also using a qwerty laptop keyboard...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!